This is cause for a celebration at my house.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Some here may remember I have been waiting for the gas company to run a line down our road for Natural Gas, that finally happened about a year ago. I still had to buy a stove, run pipe from the stove to the outside, then wait for the gas company to run a line from across the street under the road and to my house. That part alone took about 2 months, all the while we used a single hot plate, a electric skillet, and my new pellet cooker, along with the microwave and a small counter top oven, it was a bit of a challenge at times but we managed.

Friday was when it all came together, I now am cooking with gas.:clap2::clap2: My wife has still not warmed up to the thought of having fire in the house, but I know she will eventually see the benefits. Had company over the weekend that arrived about an hour after everything was done, did not cook on it until the next morning when I fixed up some sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, hash browns, and biscuits, Oh lord its nice to have a real oven again, and a center burner for a griddle. That night we had shrimp 16/20 ct large, with new potatoes and corn on the cob, along with garlic toast, and tea. I did not think abouit it but if I had added some sausage to the pot I could have called it a low country boil. I started off with cold water in a large pot that came to a rolling boil is about 5 minutes maybe less, every time I I added the new potatoes, the corn and finely the shrimp it took maybe 2 to 3 minutes to come back to a boil. First I would never have even tried that on my old electric range. Today we having sloppy Joe at the request of my grand son who last day of school it today, also having french fries, another thing I could not do very well, Pasta forgetaboudit on the old stove.:clap2::clap:

Besides having gas to cook on now there were some big benefits. My wife bought me a 60 gal air compresses about 6 years ago, that I never used because it takes 220 to operate it she did not know that. I was able to drop the stove cable down to the basement and run 220 along with several 110 outlets we desperately have needed, probably had 150 feet of heavy duty extension cords draped all over the place from one outlet, I now have the proper breaker for my welder and another 220 if I ever get something biger then my little flux core Lincoln welder, serious hazard I know but poor people have poor ways.:rolleyes:

They also had to dig up my drive way and promptly found my waterline, panic ensued, but not for long, now I at least know where it is. The best part, was when they were done they brought in a load of gravel for my driveway, looks great, and running the gas line plus the gravel were all free.

The company was my daughter and son in law who popped the news, they are having a baby, their first.:clap2: All in all it was a great weekend.
Dave

Sounds like you had lots of causes for celebrations! Congratulations on the gas line - only way to cook! and double congratulations on the new grandbaby to be! :-D

Congratulations on cooking with gas but even more for the new arrival soon!

Congrats! and Congrats!

Not having gas was a deal-killer for us when looking for a house. I cannot imagine cooking on anything else.

So did you put two 220 outlets off the one cable, or just the one for your compressor?

My Brother in law who was a certified electrician in New York for many years and now lives here, set it all up. All I can say is the electric stove was on its own beaker upstairs. He installed a box downstairs, and ran that cable to it. Then put each outlet on its own breaker including the compressor, which is plugged into one of the 220 plugin receptacles with extra 220 separate from that. In short no pun intended, everything is on its own independent breaker. But now that I think of it the box its self is now also on the upstairs breaker in that box, I will have to ask him about that.

I don't know if that is what you were asking for, but it will have to suffice, since I did not do the work myself, and know very little about these things other than wiring up a light switch or hanging a lamp. Do you preceive some sort of problem with this setup?
Dave

Congrats! and Congrats!

Not having gas was a deal-killer for us when looking for a house. I cannot imagine cooking on anything else.

My biggest relearning curve is knowing I do not need to turn up the heat nearly as much, also if a utensil when left in a pot or skillet it can get hot real quick, did I say ouch, I mean dang dang dang?:redface: The rule of thumb is to not let the flame go to the edge of the pot or pan.:rolleyes: One nice thing I remembered doing was to burn the silk off corn on the cob over a flame, I am only talking about the last few strands that are hard to get off. Of course it is an excellent way to light incense if the occasion calls for it.:icon_blush:

I have one question, does anyone ever season the cast iron grates, like a cast iron skillet? I only ask because I have noticed a couple rust spots which is odd since the instructions say they are dishwasher safe, but don't think I would ever do that.
Dave

Last edited:
Back