THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
I often find myself wanting new gear. "Wouldn't it be cool to have a Santa Maria grill or a Chud Box?" The truth is I already have too much cooking gear and not using it to its full potential.

It occurred to me that there would really be no difference between a Chud Box and taking the drip pan out of my WSM and cooking on the lower rack.

Or maybe I could use the racks in my Shirley's warmer to simulate a Santa Maria.

I bet my Vortex would make a great Wok burner.

This spring & summer I am going to challenge myself to "think outside the firebox" and make better use of the gear I have.

:bounce:

That is all.

SS

I have started taking the bowl out of my WSM and using it to cook wings on the top rack. I use the top rack to keep the food above the flare ups. Does a good job on sausage too.

HAALDZJl.jpg

David, I agree. Cool thinking.........

In general, I have too much chit. I've been trying to get my act together and downsize for a couple years as my kids are all out of the house and my cooking quantities are vastly less these days. I like having toys though!

As promised, I am attempting to make better use of the gear I have. This week I used the Shirley's Warmer as a vertical smoker. I made a new sausage: Bacon/Jalapeno/Cheddar Smoked Sausage.

5 lbs Pork
1 lb Bacon
1 lb High-temp Cheddar
6 large Jalapenos

Salt, Cumin, Mustard, Chili Powder, Oregano, Cure #1

I started by air-frying the jalapenos, then seeding and peeling them.
picture.php

No grind pics, but here is the stuffed sausage:
picture.php

Cured for 48 hours and air-dried:
picture.php

Into the warmer with a small fire. Running 160° to 175°.
picture.php

Four hours later, the sausage was 150°-155° IT.
picture.php

10 minutes in an ice bath, then back on the racks and into the fridge for 6 hours to bloom. Vaccuum sealed and ready for the freezer.
picture.php

This one is a keeper!

Thanks for looking.

Installment #2 of "Thinking outside the Firebox"

Over the winter I was watching some YouTube videos to get some new ideas. One that looked good to me was Chud's Cornell Chicken.

In my original post on this thread, I said that I thought I could emulate a Chudbox by taking the baffle out of my WSM and direct cooking on the lower grate. Last night I tested that theory by making Cornell Cornish Hens.

The Chudbox has a grate that is suspended 17" above the fire. I measured my WSM and I've got about 16". Close enough.
picture.php

I split some Cornish Hens and them marinated them in the Cornell marinate/sauce for about 3 hours.
picture.php

picture.php

Got my fire going:
picture.php

I hit them with a little extra poultry seasoning and threw them on the grate. The dome temp was ~325°.
picture.php

I checked them 45 minutes later and I gave them a flip:
picture.php

I temped them at 90 minutes. They were ~160° in the breasts and ~175° in the thighs.
picture.php

I plated them up with a green salad and drizzled with a little reserved sauce.
picture.php

Good stuff. Thanks for looking.

Back