Thinking About an Oklahoma Bronco Joe

deboy922

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
-
For 10+ years I used a kettle and charcoal...then to propane for 20 years...and on both only ever grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, and steaks.

A few years ago...propane grill died...kids went to college...got a pellet grill...found this website...met a co-worker that grills/smokes...and now I grill and smoke on the pellet grill a few times every week, even in the winter - a few weeks get skipped in Jan/Feb :)

I love my Pit Boss pellet and will continue to use it. But I am thinking of adding another cooker. I am leaning towards the Oklahoma Joe's Bronco drum. I like the cordless, wheels, grill, and smoke options. It is on sale now at Home Depot for $379 (normally $449)...wishing for a sub $200 deal like some of you found in the past...but seems like inflation has ramped up prices.

Thoughts??? Would this be a good next step for a novice pellet cooker? Thanks!

It's a little early to get the clearance price. Maybe shortly after Labor Day keep checking, especially Walmart.com. The web site, not the store.

Adams may jump in here and let you know you're on the right path. Great cooker.

I have both the Original and the Pro models of the Bronco. I really like them both. I bought the Original a couple of years ago, my only complaint was the grill size is kind of small for briskets. Since I smoke way more briskets than any other meat I decided to buy the Pro model since it is larger and will hold a large brisket with no problem. If you do get one don't do any modification to make it hold more charcoal. When you increase the amount of charcoal you will have to choke the intake back to keep temps for soaring, the result is the oxygen starved charcoal flavor which most people agree is not favorable.

The Bronco is a really nice cooker. I had a pilot error failure but it was my fault not the cooker's.
The hinged lid, side tray, wheels, hanging system etc etc. I paid 117$ so I'm quite proud of it.

Thanks for the replies...appreciate the input.

@Lahawk1 - Thanks for the extra charcoal advice. I have read about using a larger basket for longer cooks, since it is somewhat difficult to add fuel during the cook. But I definitely would not enjoy "bad" charcoal flavor.

@Fooball - My patience will be tested. College football starts soon, so larger weekly bbq's will be in order :)

@16Adams - I am jealous of the $117!

Paid 249 for my Austin XL. 117 for my Oklahoma Joe's Bronco. 39 for my Blackstone tabletop.
My Mantra when shopping big box store foreign cookers
#neverpayretail

If you don't mind some free advice

Use that 4-500 and go to Academy and select a well made Old Country offset. They'll last a lifetime plus.
At 4-500$ build a UDS or wait out for a deep discount on big box stores. Your price point is half way to a Gateway and other top shelf drums.

Same with Pit Barrel Cooker. Awesome cookers.

Honestly I don't think I'd spend full retail.

Your money your call, as it should be

the okj broncos are some of the best drums on the market in my opinion you can go low and slow or hot and fast on it as well. you can grill on it as well if you raise the fire box. i currently own 4 broncos. these things can hold it own and have used them in about 30 competitions and they still cook great. i also use them every week as well for home use. i recommend on getting a cover for them as well.

Back