THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
For Christmas the Mrs. got me a Thermoworks Billow to run my WSM. I watched the youtube video multiple times and followed the directions. However, the fan is very quiet and struggles keeping the temps. I set it at 275* and it barely keeps it around 250*. On my comp teams last practice cook I had planned on cooking ribs at 275* and it struggled to keep temps at 255*. I had lit a whole (smaller) chimney, but figured it may be the amount of coals so I lit another 1/2 chimney of coals and it took the temp up to 261*. Seeing this I pulled the fan off and opened the vents to manually adjust the temp. The temp immediately shot up to 281* in a matter of 10 minutes. I am thinking the fan is messed up and I need to call Thermoworks. Just checking to see if anyone has had a similar problem or any advice.

I used to use a temp control on mine too, Joedy.

I had the Party Q and it worked great. Got wet once and never worked right again.

I've heard of folks having some issues with the Bellows unit and switched to a BBQ Guru.

I no longer use a fan on mine and just use the vents to adjust.

I do use an alarmed Pit Temp to make sure the temp doesn't go crazy when it's windy.

Mine has had a little trouble keeping up at 275 also.

A friend of mine has one, but he thought his would get too hot, so he bought the little plastic choker insert.

I also did, and haven't taken mine out yet. I eventually got to temps over the weekend, but I might remove that and see how it goes.

Thanks for this post, as I should be in the market for a "temp management" system soon. I would have thought Thermoworks had everything figured out for one of the popular smokers. Maybe something is wrong. Especially if there are no mods to the wsm

I used to use a temp control on mine too, Joedy.

I had the Party Q and it worked great. Got wet once and never worked right again.

I've heard of folks having some issues with the Bellows unit and switched to a BBQ Guru.

I no longer use a fan on mine and just use the vents to adjust.

I do use an alarmed Pit Temp to make sure the temp doesn't go crazy when it's windy.

Yeah the vents work pretty well and are not complicated at all. Maybe if I call Thermoworks they can reccomend something. Just hoping it might be like my RT on over night cooks with it, but...

I've moved from a BBQ Guru CyberQ to the Thermoworks Signals and Billows and an very happy with the change. I've used it on my Komodo Kamado and my new Southern Q Limo Jr. Gravity feed. The Billows is rated at 47 cfm vs. the 10 cfm for the Guru fan so it should more than enough air on your WSM.

I have to use the damper on the Komodo or it pushes too much air and overshoots the target temp; once that happens, it's very difficult to get the temp back down since the Komodo has so much mass. I haven't tried without the damper on the Limo Jr.

Are you using the power adapter Thermoworks provides or their battery pack per their instructions? It's not standard USB; I believe it's 12v instead of the standard 5 v.

Give Thermoworks a call. I used the Signals with 2 of the Billows fans for a while and everything worked fine. I was using a Spicewine Ironworks Large model cabinet smoker, and it kept that smoker wherever I wanted for 10+ hours no issues. Then, all of a sudden, I started having issues. Thermoworks customer service worked with me on some troubleshooting and it come down to a fan that just wasn't pushing hard enough. It was very noticeable how one fan was blowing very hard, but the other was barely moving at all. They sent me a new fan on the spot as well as some new cables just in case. This fixed the problem and I had no issue at all.

100% give them a call and give them a chance to make it right. My experience with the customer service from Thermoworks has been stellar. Good luck moving forward and I hope they take good care of you.

Back