Thermoworks Billow not getting the job done

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
For Christmas the Mrs. got me a Thermoworks Billow to run my WSM. I watched the youtube video multiple times and followed the directions. However, the fan is very quiet and struggles keeping the temps. I set it at 275* and it barely keeps it around 250*. On my comp teams last practice cook I had planned on cooking ribs at 275* and it struggled to keep temps at 255*. I had lit a whole (smaller) chimney, but figured it may be the amount of coals so I lit another 1/2 chimney of coals and it took the temp up to 261*. Seeing this I pulled the fan off and opened the vents to manually adjust the temp. The temp immediately shot up to 281* in a matter of 10 minutes. I am thinking the fan is messed up and I need to call Thermoworks. Just checking to see if anyone has had a similar problem or any advice.

I used to use a temp control on mine too, Joedy.

I had the Party Q and it worked great. Got wet once and never worked right again.

I've heard of folks having some issues with the Bellows unit and switched to a BBQ Guru.

I no longer use a fan on mine and just use the vents to adjust.

I do use an alarmed Pit Temp to make sure the temp doesn't go crazy when it's windy.

Mine has had a little trouble keeping up at 275 also.

A friend of mine has one, but he thought his would get too hot, so he bought the little plastic choker insert.

I also did, and haven't taken mine out yet. I eventually got to temps over the weekend, but I might remove that and see how it goes.

Thanks for this post, as I should be in the market for a "temp management" system soon. I would have thought Thermoworks had everything figured out for one of the popular smokers. Maybe something is wrong. Especially if there are no mods to the wsm

I used to use a temp control on mine too, Joedy.

I had the Party Q and it worked great. Got wet once and never worked right again.

I've heard of folks having some issues with the Bellows unit and switched to a BBQ Guru.

I no longer use a fan on mine and just use the vents to adjust.

I do use an alarmed Pit Temp to make sure the temp doesn't go crazy when it's windy.

Yeah the vents work pretty well and are not complicated at all. Maybe if I call Thermoworks they can reccomend something. Just hoping it might be like my RT on over night cooks with it, but...

I've moved from a BBQ Guru CyberQ to the Thermoworks Signals and Billows and an very happy with the change. I've used it on my Komodo Kamado and my new Southern Q Limo Jr. Gravity feed. The Billows is rated at 47 cfm vs. the 10 cfm for the Guru fan so it should more than enough air on your WSM.

I have to use the damper on the Komodo or it pushes too much air and overshoots the target temp; once that happens, it's very difficult to get the temp back down since the Komodo has so much mass. I haven't tried without the damper on the Limo Jr.

Are you using the power adapter Thermoworks provides or their battery pack per their instructions? It's not standard USB; I believe it's 12v instead of the standard 5 v.

Give Thermoworks a call. I used the Signals with 2 of the Billows fans for a while and everything worked fine. I was using a Spicewine Ironworks Large model cabinet smoker, and it kept that smoker wherever I wanted for 10+ hours no issues. Then, all of a sudden, I started having issues. Thermoworks customer service worked with me on some troubleshooting and it come down to a fan that just wasn't pushing hard enough. It was very noticeable how one fan was blowing very hard, but the other was barely moving at all. They sent me a new fan on the spot as well as some new cables just in case. This fixed the problem and I had no issue at all.

100% give them a call and give them a chance to make it right. My experience with the customer service from Thermoworks has been stellar. Good luck moving forward and I hope they take good care of you.

Back