Thermometer Probes

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bob, aka, Uncle
Hey folks!

I need to know if it will damage probes in any way to use them to measure cooking chamber temp instead of putting them into meat.

From all I can tell by looking at the probes for my Maverick, the probes are identical. In fact, there was no distinction made when purchased new that one should be used for the chamber and the other for the meat; so I'm guessing that for that unit, it makes no difference.

I have several others (Accurite, Thermoworks Chef Alarm, Maverick 901) that are meant to have probes in meat or food dishes. I would like to know if anyone has used this type of thermo and probe in a wood block or tater to measure chamber temp.

The reason I'm asking is that I don't have enough meat/chamber thermos to measure all the spots I want to measure as the seasoning heat progresses. I'm planning, finally, to fire up and season the Brazos tomorrow. I will not be cooking anything. I plan to wipe it out with rags then spray everything down good with canola oil then set a fire and watch it. I was thinking that I could set up the remote thermos (no dial gauge thermos in the unit - yet) with probes in blocks of wood - 1 on the main cooking grate right above the baffle edge or just toward the fire chamber from it (should be the hottest spot, right?); 1 above that on the upper grate (might be even hotter??); 1 on the main grate at at the end next to the chimney; and 1 above that on the upper grate. By taking readings on all of them at the same time I should get a pretty good idea of temp ranges. I also plan to use an infrared thermo on the fire to measure it's temp.

I don't want to ruin the thermos or probes; so if anyone has done this and can let me know if there were problems or if all went well, I'd be much obliged.

I interchange my Maverick 732 probes all the time and have used it for going on 4 years with no problems at all but I usually keep all my cooks under 300 degrees.

Back