THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bossmanbbq said:
I love mine, dont know what I would do with out it, I have a gray one, bought mine over the summer and asked for mercy later with the bosslady...:mrgreen:

I've found that it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Will let you know after Christmas, intercepted package delivered to the door. My wife loves me! (sometimes, no Spicewine yet).:lol:

Went to Linens 'N Things today to buy a Thermapen. They don't carry them, so I just ordered one online from the ThermoWorks website.

scottd said:
is there a way to recalibrate these things?
Yep. A quick google turned up with this document. You can also send it in to ThermWorks and for $35.00 they will calibrate it and provide an NIST traceable calibration certificate. If you use the thermo in a professional setting or are ISO registered, this would be valuable.

Attachments

• Thermapen_Calibration-14348.doc
    17 KB · Views: 22
Kevin said:
Yep. A quick google turned up with this document. You can also send it in to ThermWorks and for $35.00 they will calibrate it and provide an NIST traceable calibration certificate. If you use the thermo in a professional setting or are ISO registered, this would be valuable.

We have to recalibrate every week according to our HACCP program and USDA insp. these are nice but don't work for us in our day to day operations. But for everything else they are great, I bought a few for the plant to try them out but with out the option of being able to adjust the calibration we can not use them. 1 degreee off is still 1 degree off.

I love it for BBQ. I even got one today for christmas from the wife. so I am happy.

thanks kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
lazyjacres said:
Great Thermometer. I don't leave home with out it...........

Absolutely!
I brought mine to Brother-In-Law's house here in Austin.
He cooks a turkey in a roaster with cheap remote stuck in it.
Reads 165 and he starts to pull it.
"Just a minute--Let me play with my new ThermoPen".
130-135 all over the bird :twisted:
Disaster (or at least embarassment) averted.

He is ordering a ThermoPen for himself :lol:

Great tool!

TIM

I just got a Thermopen for Christmas...I'd mentioned liking them many months ago while perusing the King Arthur Flower catalog (great catalog, by the way). Thankfully, my spouse "takes notes" during the year!!

I've wanted one for a while, but the cost always put a damper on my enthusiasm!!

scottd said:
We have to recalibrate every week according to our HACCP program and USDA insp. these are nice but don't work for us in our day to day operations. But for everything else they are great, I bought a few for the plant to try them out but with out the option of being able to adjust the calibration we can not use them. 1 degreee off is still 1 degree off.

I love it for BBQ. I even got one today for christmas from the wife. so I am happy.

thanks kevin

Scott:

Click on the link Kevin provided in the post above yours. It shows how to recalibrate the Thermapen.

If you want an endorsement for this thing, you should have watched good eats last night. Alton used it over and over, and had a different color for each setting. Red, grey, and orange. Makes me envious!

Got a red one for Christmas. Haven't had time to cook anything but just walk around the house checking temps. "How cold do you think your cereal is?" "How warm you think a cat's butt is?"

Ag76 said:
Scott:

Click on the link Kevin provided in the post above yours. It shows how to recalibrate the Thermapen.

I did that and printed a copy of it, works great, our USDA insp says we can now use the thermapens as we have to recalubrate every week.

Back