The things that make a contest great - Service and amenities

Dean, I sincerely hope the organizers in Grand Rapids take as much interest as you guys seem to do at Grill Kings! Good luck!

parrothead said:
Services and amenities

Or good at the very least. This is in line with Phil and others trying to "fix" grill kings and a thread I wanted to start anyway.

What are some of the best things you have ran accross at competitions? THose little things that are nice, but are noticed if they are missing. This will be one of at least two threads maybe more so there is a little more continuity.

Suggestions can be based on actual experiences or just a wish list.

Three things that are probably foremost are water, ice, grass.

My experiences with these are. Shannon. This year they delivered water to your sight as needed. We had enough with us so didn't need it, but I am sure that everybody else appreciated it.

Ice. In Peoria last year they delivered ice to you---free---as much as you wanted. That was freaking awesome.

Grass All of my competitions have been on grass except for last year when I visited Phil. Grass is the way to go. period.

One last thing. We don't need to make a list of bad things that have happened. Lets just concentrate on what we are seeing out there that makes a competition good.

that was the first time ive seen water delivery in Shannon ....ive cooked there 4 years in a row..it was nice but we really had to chase th eguy down to get him to bring us water 1/2 the time
anyway the Clinton IA contest set a bar for most comps..the cooks were treated like rock stars..hourly delivery of water and ice..each team had a person assigned to them for these deliveries..
someone was there as you pulled up and led you promptly to your site too..ive been to a few comps where you pull up and have to wait 25 min for somone to tell you where your spot is..
we asked for an outhouse on our end of the grounds and they ordered one up at additional cost to them to accomadate us.Keep in mind this was a first year event too. the organizer Ryan, stated he does not want to be like other comps and is strivng to do be different..he even showed up in Shannon and personally delivered team photos to each team that had competed in Clinton
Word has it that next year they may have people to unload your things on arrival and then load them up the next day..now that would be awesome

billm said:
Word has it that next year they may have people to unload your things on arrival and then load them up the next day..now that would be awesome

That right there would be the greatest thing possible at a comp! The unloading isn't so bad, but the loading... if only someone would do that part!

Whatta awesome idea.......Help load up your stuff at the end of the comp. When your so hot/tired and you cant hardly wiggle. Boy Scout mod? Is there some type of merit badge for community service? I dont know.

Mike

I would think that you could get a group such as a local boy scout troup or 4-H club to help out here and there. It would need to be one that is going for a charity event though or they would need a donation to their troop or club.

Osage, Ks is a very well run contest. The 2 years I have done it have been enjoyable. I thouhgt the GAB was done pretty good as far as water and Ice for the amout of teams. They just need to remember its a mainly BBQ contest and not a concert so when its over let us leave.

At that time on a hot Saturday, I'd pay for the help. In fact, I'd want to pay in advance, otherwise I'd be too susceptible to paying whatever is asked! $500 for help, sure!

This is somewhat related. Our local small town has an annual classic car show. I know most of these guys that participate and we get a lot of realy great competitors. They were doing a radio interview with a fellow that travels nationaly going to these shows every weekend. He had won a trophy here before and his only recollection of the event was "Oh yeah, the shady place". Trees and shade are greatly appreciated.

We do what we can and are learning!

We had our second contest this year! First KCBS but all in all it went well. Mid July contest not a good thing in MO. Looking at spring or fall for a new date. 100 degrees two straight years. We provided breakfast B&G's Sausage, Bagels, coffee, juice, Milk and French toast. Local Newspaper donated papers for the cookers at breakfast. Free 2 breakfasts per team. Charged low fee 1.00 per bag for 8lb or 3.00 for 20lb bag of ice delivered to your site. A good hospitality booth that is aware of the cookers needs. Security onsite and access to coordinator or staff 24-7. Move trash quickly out of the cookers area. We have inside bathrooms not a big plastic hot box so that helped our event. I had one person that came up to me and thanked me for the porcelin. We are still learning and taking everything on this thread....

St. Richards Bats and BBQ thanks eveyone that came out for the fun!

Back