The great offset to oven brisket experiment

Nullbitz,

Have you cooked a brisket yet using your offset and roaster yet? I'm doing one in two weeks. Here is what I'm thinking:

1) Salt/pepper and post oak on the offset for 6 hrs or so until I like the color. Spritz with ACV after the first hr or so.
2) Butcher paper wrap and into roaster set at 225.
3) Once done pull out of roaster and let cool to about 190 so I know temps are coming down.
4) Put water pan in bottom of roaster and set to 150.
5) Keep brisket in roaster on elevated cooling rack for least 10-12 hrs.

Things I’m pondering but not sure on:

1) I think adding the water pan to the bottom of roaster will help with humidity in the roaster.
2) Spritz butcher paper with ACV prior to wrapping brisket.
3) Flirting with trying some tallow but likely skip this time. Don’t want to change too many variables all at once.

Nullbitz,

Have you cooked a brisket yet using your offset and roaster yet? I'm doing one in two weeks. Here is what I'm thinking:

1) Salt/pepper and post oak on the offset for 6 hrs or so until I like the color. Spritz with ACV after the first hr or so.
2) Butcher paper wrap and into roaster set at 225.
3) Once done pull out of roaster and let cool to about 190 so I know temps are coming down.
4) Put water pan in bottom of roaster and set to 150.
5) Keep brisket in roaster on elevated cooling rack for least 10-12 hrs.

Things I’m pondering but not sure on:

1) I think adding the water pan to the bottom of roaster will help with humidity in the roaster.
2) Spritz butcher paper with ACV prior to wrapping brisket.
3) Flirting with trying some tallow but likely skip this time. Don’t want to change too many variables all at once.

How is this working out for you? I'm about to buy a Turkey Roaster oven I think.

Also, what about you Nullbitz? Have you done briskets with your roaster setup?

I use the oven at 170. Turns out great. At least so far.

I put my oven on it's "warm" mode, and it said 170 in the manual, so I simply calibrated it to -20 in the settings (a lot of ovens let you do this).

However, when I used my Thermoworks "smoke" probe to test it, I was getting a range of like 140 - 190 after leaving it on for 2 hours. really bad.

I want to try a turkey roaster oven I think.

Back