THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I thought Landarc already proved that you can get authentic Kobe beef in a can.

spamReg.png

I have actually read both of these articles a couple of times.

This dude is primarily talking about labeling and makes some unfounded tangental references to quality.

To me, the use of the word "Kobe" is false and misleading. Period!!!

But, the quality of Wagyu is clear to me.
Easily grades higher than prime in a heartbeat.
I just delivered today an 18# Australian Wagyu to a friend at a comp.
He just called to say he has never seen the marbeling, soft fat, and all the other marks of quality beef---ever.

For a restaurant to advertize a burger as "Kobe" and charge $50 is a sin---

But Australian or American Wagyu is some outstanding meat!!!

TIM

I don't think this has been any secret. The Waygu company I have dealt over the years with is very clear about Kobe beef only coming from Japan.

I never thought this was a big problem. Oh well.

CD

I have actually read both of these articles a couple of times.

This dude is primarily talking about labeling and makes some unfounded tangental references to quality.

To me, the use of the word "Kobe" is false and misleading. Period!!!

But, the quality of Wagyu is clear to me.
Easily grades higher than prime in a heartbeat.
I just delivered today an 18# Australian Wagyu to a friend at a comp.
He just called to say he has never seen the marbeling, soft fat, and all the other marks of quality beef---ever.

For a restaurant to advertize a burger as "Kobe" and charge $50 is a sin---

But Australian or American Wagyu is some outstanding meat!!!

TIM

I just read both articles. It is exactly like us drinking American "Champagne" or "Burgundy" when it has nothing to do with the french wines. But you have to recognize that the names Kobe and Wagyu are reasons to charge a lot higher price than most other beef. In the second article, he states that "Wagyu" means that it is Japanese beef and nothing about how it is treated or its lineage.

If your product is excellent, then it seems to me that it is a result of the standards of the producer and not the name of the product. You ought to make sure you remember which producer you found.

There are producers and co-opertives in the U.S. that do have branded meats, but, they are pricey and a little harder to find. I happen to think Wa-Gyu is not a bad beef if you are going to eat it raw or nearly raw. Beyond that, it loses what makes it unique. I would much rather have a choice or prime graded steak from Harris Ranch if I am going to have it cooked to medium rare or more.

I think it is a daft choice for a thick steak, I prefer it thin and charcoal grilled lightly or rare to raw too.
Seeing people eat it traditional western style makes me gag a little to be honest.
Mentally.

Well apparently I fell for it back in 2009. I went to a popular, upscale, michelin star restaurant that specializes in Japanese steaks. I didn't know much about the steaks, but had a very special occasion to try it. I spoke with the chef and he did dispel the myths about the sake and massages. Though this place has stuff from the midwest and the australian stuff, he assured us we were getting authentic Japanese Kobe grade A5 imported from Japan (100% full bread wagyu). He even went on to explain how americans raise and age their cattle vs the Japanese and wagyu. To top it off, the customer even gets to choose not only the cut (I chose the cap of the ribeye), but the prefecture of the meat. All this even comes with a copy of the birth/heritage certificate to boot. Even if it apparently wasn't real kobe, it was still the most amazing beef I've ever tasted and such a treat. I did try an australian kobe a month before this and the "fake kobe" blew the Australian stuff out of the water. Such a rich flavor and it literally felt like it could melt in my mouth. The meat had integrity, but I felt like I could break it apart with my tongue if I wanted to. I can only imagine what the truly authentic stuff could taste like. I checked the restaurant's menu today and they don't have the choices I ordered from. They have Tajima F1 Australian, Sher F1 Australian, Sher Fullblood Australian, Lone Mountain Fullblood U.S.A, and some stuff from snake river farms. I think I paid $165 for the dish, even if it wasn't kobe I still don't regret the experience of trying such a fantastic meat, whatever it may be called.

Tony- if I read it correctly, the OP said Kobe has not been allowed in US since 2010. So maybe you did get the real stuff.

Great info in the OP. Glad I never shelled out that kind of money for Kobe (although I've considered it).

Tony, it was probably real Kobe. This whole thing really went sideways with the whole Bovine Encephalitis thing and Japan banning U. S. beef from import. You may well have had Kobe

Ah, I guess I misread. I thought the OP said that before 2010 people "probably" got an imposter. The OP actually said "You may have even had a Kobe imposter from Japan before 2010".

Back