The Autry!

Hey bigmista can I sneak in a 12pack or do we have to pay stadium prices for beer?

I encourage you bring beer!

Neil-Offhand do you know how many teams are using BDS's at the Autrey? I see Jaybird has them in his lineup, do you see many drums in SoCal?

Brian

I've never seen one in competition besides mine. I think Jay started using his recently but He didn't have it with him last year that I remember...

Anybody coming to visit, be sure to bring a chair.

Thanks for the tip. Will be needing a few chairs, seems the wife, son, daughter, grandkid, and of course myself will be coming. I am looking forward to seeing my first contest, the rest are going to be going to Griffith Park when they lose interest. I should have the boy eat in the rib eating contest and watch him chew up somebody elses money.

See you on Saturday.

Best of Luck to all the Brethren Teams!! I Hope You all Bring back Lots of Pictures,along with the trophys.

Just got finished

Loading the trailer...hope the fricken wind lets up or were gonna be buying another new EZ-UP!

Today is start day? Congrats to all the of Brethren Teams. Hope i get a chance to meet you all on Saturday as you work your magic in prep to form a Brethren line of walking the stage.

Man did I get Spanked...

Had a blast at the Autry, get to meet new teams and people each year! BigMista beat me in Brisket today, that will be a tough one to live down! :p

Got spanked like a red headed stepchild today, 25th in ribs, 13th in pork, 21st in brisket out of 32 teams...but my sister Kristin, whom I will mention you good brothers helped with her chicken a few weeks back, goes Large and scores a big 2nd in Chicken and the $500 check, cha-ching, two more contest please!...Atta Boy Sis!

We finished 14th overall, I was very disappointed with my ribs score, did not think they were prefect but I have never finished 25th in ribs ever. Ces't la vie. Kristin ask me to express her gradtitue for your help in her achiving her goal to finish in the Top 5 in chicken in 2007, not bad to accomplish your goal in the 1st contest of the year!

Finally got to a competition

Had made plans with the family a week ago to attend the Autry. I had never been to a comp, and was really looking forward to seeing all the goings on.

1. pregnant daughter is sick, so we had to baby sit the 1st grandchild.
2. had to wait for him to get up from his nap, while mommy went to emergency room
3. mommy is okay, but now on bedrest (happened last pregnancy)
4. got lost getting to the event
5. argueing with wife over directions while driving around lost

But I finally get there. A lot of people, and we alrady missed turn ins. Got a chance to chat with Mista, he was TIRED. Saw bently was going to go over and say hi, but his royal majesty, Sir Grandchild the First wanted to play and needed to have some energy ran off.

Stayed to hear the judging announcements. Was standing next to the team which happened to win RGC. I could tell everyone had lots of fun. Mista still looked tired as I left to take he who is learning to use the bathroom to the restrooms and home.

I do not have the bug to compete, but Ican see why those of you who do it, do. You seem to have a lotta of fun and nothing is better than smoking meats, unless it is sitting around with a bunch of others who love to do it as well.

So we get out to the Autry about 5:30am to get setup because I want to have something cooking by the time the tv spot happens. Well it took us almost half an hour to find our spot. Arlie said he had marked it so we could find it. Do you have any idea how had it is to find red paint on green grass in the dark?

Once we find our spot, my son and I unload our stuff and get the ez-up set up and I start a fire in the barrel. The rest of my team starts to show up between 6 and 6:30 and they start unloading too. The tv crew arrives and tells us that the they will be shooting up by the building. About 200 yards away. They want it to look like Saturday. So they tell to move our stuff all the way up there. Peachy.

So we get setup again, and they start shooting the teasers. According to Gayle (Anderson) we are supposed to be farting around in the background. I make it a point to inform her that I am very good at farting and will make her proud.

When the get around to the first segment, it's a guy named Tom Perini who is a chuck wagon cook. I'm thinking, chuck wagon...barbecue...it's a stretch but because we are at the Autry museum of Western Heritage, I'll go with it. So Gayle starts interviewing this guy and asks him how he prepares his ribs. He said he sprinkles some salt and pepper on them and sticks them in the oven for two hours. Then he mixes up some molasses and PACE PICANTE SAUCE brushes it on as a glaze and puts it back in the oven.

:shock:

California BBQ finally gets recognized on tv and the first thing they show is somebody cooking ribs in an oven. That's gotta help our reputation.

So Gayle calls our team over to taste the ribs on camera. People that say that part said it really looked like I was enjoying that rib. I told them,

I WAS ACTING!!!

Those were some of the most awful ribs I had in my life!!! And not only were they bad, unpeeled and tough, they were ice cold! I should get an Oscar.

The next segment was the one I linked to in my previous post with Brent Walton from QN4U. Brent's Pork Butt was really good. I didn't have to act for that one. If you look at it you will also see my son knocking over one of my teammates to get to the Pork. We were all pretty hungry by then and we couldn't really eat the fatties I was making because we needed them for the next segment.

More tales from the Autry in a bit. I have to go take my son back to Palmdale...

So what happened with the fatty video? Did you get to say fatty on the air? She sure didn't seem to like the "rub his butt" comment.:shock: Pace on ribs. Fark.:evil:

Back