THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
Local meat processor was selling meat from the recent state fair.

I bought half a belly of a (radiant?)pig from the fair and took a small 3lb piece to make some bacon, using a new (to me) untried recipe.

Used Cherry Juice Powder as the curing agent, Q-Salt and Maple Syrup. Vacuum packed it and overhauled it each day for 10 days.

I
cac0ca83476e167f2337778542058a17.jpg

Today I hot smoked it with hickory on the Shirley to 150F and then sliced it.

6ade9a7b0068d00d5fcdeb484f63f1a4.jpg

36f7aed55f75fb5f33684194af759148.jpg

Fried a few pieces on the Blackstone for quality control purposes.

ead9b8792060497c8c3b443d3219d441.jpg

Delicious!

f4abf641e6a8a62b2710c590736efc77.jpg

a770f5a327b89e8fe01e45e20f25dfd6.jpg

Looks great John. I've done quite a lot of bacon, but have never heard of using cherry juice powder. What are the benefits and does it add a slight cherry flavor? I had store bought cherry wood smoked bacon once and liked it.

Nice pig ya got there.

I have a couple Duroc bellies saved for bacon.
But I want to cold smoke it. Maybe double smoked.

Is there an advantage to cooking the pork to 150 instead?

Nice pig ya got there.

I have a couple Duroc bellies saved for bacon.
But I want to cold smoke it. Maybe double smoked.

Is there an advantage to cooking the pork to 150 instead?

I didn’t use a standard pink salt cure. (Cure 1), instead I’m trying a celery juice powder cure, which is new to me.

I cooked it to 150F for food safety purposes, even though I probably didn’t have to, as I followed a known recipe on the CJP.

I’ve found at 150, it still slices and fries up well.

Looks great John. I've done quite a lot of bacon, but have never heard of using cherry juice powder. What are the benefits and does it add a slight cherry flavor? I had store bought cherry wood smoked bacon once and liked it.

I mistyped that.
It should’ve been Celery Juice Powder, known as CJP.
It is used by companies to “cure” bacon that is sold as uncured (even though it is really cured)

Looks great. I just posted on Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter that cherry juice powder is the way to go when curing bacon. I also mentioned your name and the Naturiffic brand. Hope you get some sales out of my posts and they strengthen your reputation as a thought leader!

Last edited:
Looks great. I just posted on Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter that cherry juice powder is the way to go when curing bacon. I also mentioned your name and the Naturiffic brand. Hope you get some sales out of my posts and they strengthen your reputation as a thought leader!

So that’s where our 10,000% jump in sales came from!

Where would you like your new Porsche shipped to?

I didn’t realize the “uncured” process was something that was available to the home cook. Always assumed it was something in mass quantities only.

Poked around on the world wide web and found a rabbit hole, I mean, lots of options.

Thanks John!

Back