Thanksgiving rd2 Saturday's feast

aawa

Babbling Farker
On Thursday I smoked a turkey for my neighbors party, Saturday rolls around and my family is in town so it is round 2.

Menu for the feast
13lb Turkey - brined in PatioDaddio Ultimate Turkey Brine
5lb Beef Bottom Round - rubbed in Oakridge Black Ops (didn't make the photo ops)
Acorn squash soup w/ chipotle toasted sunflower seeds
Green Bean Casserole (only the french onions weren't homemade)
Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed potatos
Smoked Mac and Cheese
Apple, sausage and mushroom dressing
Cranberry and Orange Sauce
Brussell sprouts w/ bacon and ACV and brown sugar
Kale, persimmon, and sunflower salad w/ pomegranite vinegarette
Pandesal (filipino dinner rolls)
Encimada (filipino buttered and sugared brioche rolls)
Milkyway Cake
Pumpkin ale cake

I brined the bird for 24 hours. Then drained and let sit in the fridge uncovered for overnight. I pulled it out and made a compound butter of salt, pepper, onion powder, sage, thyme and rosemary. I ran my hand between the skin and meat of the bird to separate them. I then spread a layer of butter between the skin and meat of the turkey and then did a layer onto of the skin. The cavity was stuffed with rosemary, thyme and sage.
BnQdHi3.jpg

UM0tdtS.jpg

The bird went on my UDS for approx 3hrs 15mins at 325 degrees w/ peach wood. I dont have any shots of the bird coming off the pit unfortunately. However I do have shots of the carved up bird. If you look at any of my previous threads on cooking poultry, you know I love to break down the bird completely and serve it up in style.
NsTzcmt.jpg

0bTxGNH.jpg

Ci6EZ0Q.jpg

Green bean casserole my sister made. I don't have the recipe or I would share.
bm9uehg.jpg

Acorn squash soup with the chipotle toasted sunflower seeds.
MJP5rGh.jpg

ucAqf9t.jpg

Cranberry and orange sauce w/ turkey gravy and a little corner for the smoked mac and cheese.
pSNuMu2.jpg

Smoked mac and cheese; sausage, apple, mushroom stuffing; roasted garlic and rosemary mashed potatoes.
7EHbFh1.jpg

Kale salad w/ persimmons, red onions, sunburst tomatoes, and toasted sunflower seeds.
brsYF8r.jpg

Pandesal (filipino dinner rolls), chesnuts, pomegranite vinegarette, salad and soup.
XSOgzku.jpg

Green bean casserole, brussel sprouts w/ bacon and emcimada (filipino brioche rolls w/ butter and sugar)
V4uiGOM.jpg

Completely assembled (minus the roast beef) Milkyway cake was on the top and the leftover Pumpkin Ale cake from thursday was on the bottom corner.
o0RcyV7.jpg

Fat Kids Plate.
qmlRM8j.jpg

It was great to cook up a meal for my parents, sister and her bf, my gf, and my roommates. Leftovers were plentiful, but almost finished off! Thanks for lookin.

What a spread, although, I'm depressed just thinking about how many dishes there were to wash after everything was done

laplonge.gif

That all looks Great! I've used peach wood on ribs for some great flavor and a darker color. Looks like your bird took the smoke really well.

What a spread, although, I'm depressed just thinking about how many dishes there were to wash after everything was done

laplonge.gif

I cheaped out and used paper plates, paper bowls, and plastic utensils for eating. So the dishes weren't too bad. I also have a habit of cleaning while I cook, so when the meal was put out, almost all of the dishes had already been done. Also my family and gf did a great job helping me out with washing all the dishes.

That all looks Great! I've used peach wood on ribs for some great flavor and a darker color. Looks like your bird took the smoke really well.

I like the color and wood flavor peach gives to the turkey. It took on a great color and had hte nice smokey flavor that didn't overpower the flavor of the bird.

That all looks yummy! However, if you ever go to the dictionary and look up "Perfect smoked turkey" you will find a picture of your turkey platter. If anyone does not like turkey, they would after eating some of that. ( my new smoked turkey goal to achieve ) Did I mention that I liked the looks of your turkey platter? Congrats on a great cook!

Blessings,

Omar

That all looks yummy! However, if you ever go to the dictionary and look up "Perfect smoked turkey" you will find a picture of your turkey platter. If anyone does not like turkey, they would after eating some of that. ( my new smoked turkey goal to achieve ) Did I mention that I liked the looks of your turkey platter? Congrats on a great cook!

Blessings,

Omar

Thank you for the kind words. I wouldn't call it a perfect turkey, but a satisfying one. The family enjoyed getting together and sharing a wonderful meal.

Turkey looks fabulous. I like to break down my birds as well, i think it makes it more appetizing and easier for folks to get what they want. Also, love the butter rub idea.

Stellar cook, Brother!

I'll shoot you my address and will be looking for the invite next year!:wink:

Turkey looks fabulous. I like to break down my birds as well, i think it makes it more appetizing and easier for folks to get what they want. Also, love the butter rub idea.

The compound butter rub is one of the things that helps me get a nice crisp skin and also keep the seasoning on the bird. I do it between the meat and skin and then ontop of the skin.

Stellar cook, Brother!

I'll shoot you my address and will be looking for the invite next year!:wink:

Come on down. There is always more than enough food!

That looks incredible...bravo!

Thanks!

Back