THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
A while back I had posted saying that I was willing to help out on a team at this past weekend's Smokin in the Bay in Deale, MD. 5-0 BBQ graciously offered me a chance to hang out with their team at the comp.

I accepted and explained that I was willing to do any thing to help, and included that I would disappear during the times that team proprietary actions were taking place.

Over the course of the comp, Steve Rogers, head cook, and the team made me feel like part of the team. They were very patient with my questions and constantly asked if there was anything I needed clarification on. They made sure I was in the proper place to observe all aspects of the cook. They made sure I attended the cook meeting to experience that. They involved me in the tasting of all meats to ask my opinion. I was taught the value of combining spices in my hand to taste the result and make informed decisions. I was introduced to other competitors and received valuable advice from them as well.

To make a long story short, they involved me in all aspects of the comp.

Here are some other observations:
  • Offer to help with everything from washing dishes to taking out the trash - every task is important during a comp.
  • Immerse yourself in the experience - I even slept on-site in my truck for three hours.
  • Ask questions, but pick the proper time to do it.
  • All comp teams are extremely helpful and nice. It is one big family.
  • Pay attention to building boxes - it isn't as easy as it looks.
  • Be open minded - I have over 20 years of home Q experience - this IS NOT home BBQ!

I would recommend that anyone wanting to get into comp, seek out a team that will allow you to have the experience I did. I would have gladly paid for the experience. It would be worth paying the team's entry fee for what I learned.

Finally, I want to thank Steve Rogers, his pretty wife Leah, awesome and equally lovely Aunt Kitty, other team members Steve and Darren, and all the others who made this a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Steve has always been willing to help, offer advice or just BS BBQ with anyone. I saw the original post and where 5-O pm'ed you. Glad it all worked out. Hope you weathered the storm okay - that was a good learning experience too. :clap:

Back