THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cheez59

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Ok so I've been told that I make really good chili and I reckon it's eatable enough. I always use beans because that's just how it's done around here and everybody thinks it's the only way. Especially my wife.

I want to expand my chili making skills to something without beans. I have looked up recipes that sound good but I would rather do a tried and true version from some of the great folks on here. I have about 2-1/2 pounds of leftover brisket in the freezer waiting to go into the pot. We don't live in an area that is well known for large varieties of chili peppers but I can come up with a few different ones from one of the many Mexican stores close by.

The recipe needs to be close to epic if I am to convert Ms Gwen away from the bean versions. :biggrin1:

Show what you got folks. TIA

A fellow Brethren, Kelley Underwood, has posted her Award winning recipe on the Egghead forum. Many have won with it and swear by it. You may want to try it.

SMOKED BRISKET CHILI
by
Kelley “EggObsessed” and Bruce “No Joke Smoke” Underwood

Yield: 1 ½ gallons

3 cups celery, chopped
3 small jalapenos, thinly sliced
3 purple onions, chopped

Sauté the vegetables in vegetable oil or bacon grease until translucent. Then add:

4 cloves of garlic, pressed

Sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the following spices and bloom them in the hot oil with the veggies.

½ cup + 2 TBL chili powder (I use Pendery’s Original Chile Blend which is available in the Central Market bulk section or here: http://www.penderys.com/ )

2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. cayenne
1 TBL cumin
2 tsp. Mexican oregano
2 tsp. granulated onion
2 tsp. granulated garlic

Once this mixture has bloomed, add:

1 c. red wine (Pinot Noir or Claret)

Reduce the wine down for about 10 minutes. Then add:

1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
3 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
3 cups LOW SODIUM beef stock/broth
12 oz. V-8 juice
3 TBL Knorr Tomato Bouillon w/ Chicken Flavor (powdered)
2 TBL of whatever rub you used on the brisket (if other than salt and pepper)
2 ½ lbs. of cooked smoked brisket, cut into 3/8” cubes

(Optional: 1-2 20 oz. cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed. I always include these.)

Test for need to add salt

Bring up to a slight boil, then turn heat down and simmer until brisket starts falling apart (about 3 hours. I always put a Simmer Mat under my pot to prevent scorching. Works like a charm!

Enjoy!!
Kelley and Bruce Underwood

Any questions let me know and I will ask here to post your answer.

Man smoked brisket chili sounds good. I've got a whole smoked packer in the freezer, think I'll have to slice and eat the point and use the flat for chile.

We are entering our first chili contest next weekend. The missus has her own chili recipe, which is amazing by the way, but you guys have definitely posted some great tips and ideas...with more to come i'm sure! I may take that chili recipe above and compete against her...oh, wait a minute, she owns the roasters, the chili pepper string lights, the canopy and well...me. :doh:

This is an excellent thread. Makes me hungry. I am smoking a brisket tomorrow. I am going to try one of these recipes with the leftovers.

Back