THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haniel, beef ribs sound great! DaveAlvarado did those at last Fall's bash and they were incredible.

I don't know if this has been done or is the custom on these bashes being that this is my first time, but I'm planning to be wearing a lanyard with my Brethren username and my real name on it. That way people can associate a face to the name at the event.

Good idea or nah?

I don't know if this has been done or is the custom on these bashes being that this is my first time, but I'm planning to be wearing a lanyard with my Brethren username and my real name on it. That way people can associate a face to the name at the event.

Good idea or nah?

Never has been a need. We've just figured it out as we go.

I guess it's just me, but often times I'll meet a bunch of new people, and after shaking a bunch of hands I forgot all their names immediately. Need some ginko bilobas or something. :doh:

We all do that.

What's funny is, I guarantee for at least one person you'll remember somebody's meat and/or smoker before you'll remember their name.

Wish I could get good beef ribs ya'll are torturing me:sad:

Went to heb tonight. no short ribs. asked the butcher and he pointed me to the cut up stuff they had out but that wasn't what I wanted. he said he had the cryo packs that had not been cut up yet. they had boneless and bone-in. only had select but i bought a cryo pack of 2 slabs. decent marbling and $2.97/LB. he said they get choice every now and then. will be cooking one this weekend. that's the 2nd time i found out by asking what they had in the back. the first time was when i found they regularly have prime briskets but don't put them out.

The ones I found at HEB aren't as big and meaty as the Angus Chuck Short Ribs I get at RD. HEB sells plate ribs and back ribs, RD sells Chuck Shorts (which are long actually)

Went to heb tonight. no short ribs. asked the butcher and he pointed me to the cut up stuff they had out but that wasn't what I wanted. he said he had the cryo packs that had not been cut up yet. they had boneless and bone-in. only had select but i bought a cryo pack of 2 slabs. decent marbling and $2.97/LB. he said they get choice every now and then. will be cooking one this weekend. that's the 2nd time i found out by asking what they had in the back. the first time was when i found they regularly have prime briskets but don't put them out.

The ones I found at HEB aren't as big and meaty as the Angus Chuck Short Ribs I get at RD. HEB sells plate ribs and back ribs, RD sells Chuck Shorts (which are long actually)

These are 2" thick and 6"-8" long. Label says chuck ribs. Not sure if that's meaty or not.

These are 2" thick and 6"-8" long. Label says chuck ribs. Not sure if that's meaty or not.

These are the 4 bone Chuck ribs I got at HEB. They're better than beef back ribs (which are Ribeye bones),

BeefRibs-01.jpg

With the following result:
BeefRibs-07.jpg

6fa23f60a2bccedfc224890d4c3ebbbe.jpg

But the ones I found at RD are Angus 3 bone Chuck Short Ribs. The bones are bigger and meat is noticeably more marbled. It's cut from a more upper portion of the carcass.
ec54be2ed3e655960763ab85bdd165c4.jpg

e80b089ca30dfdc8427e06b8d42a178d.jpg

57bc770bb72c635cd2456abb3685721e.jpg

bc1f6e8db487e08af0149705a5c00af1.jpg

058079c2848b9d402ef5fbf3d9ca56df.jpg

1d709ab5280a11b73c20593684289e60.jpg

Last edited:
Well we have finished taste driving a few new items with our neighbors this weekend.
And we have a few items we will be cooking (Deep Fried) at the bash:

1. A few of our Pig Cakes
2. Chicken Fried Bacon with a Maple Syrup, Bourbon and Chocolate drizzle
3. Jalapeno Hush Puppies
4. Not Your Grandmother's Rum Cake Shooters

And may have a few deep fried sausage bites in there also. :becky:

Haniel, those pictures of beef ribs are killing me!

Hotch, that list of deep fried goodies sounds incredible!

Have never tried CF bacon and really looking forward to it.

I've always liked this video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU"]Chicken Fried Bacon (Texas Country Reporter) - YouTube[/ame]

Should be good. All the neighbors loved them.
We will have a maple syrup, bourbon, chocolate drizzle on them instead of cream gravy.

Looks like the head count so far is 20. Possibly a few more not on the spread sheet I would guess.
Did we have someone drop out?

Back