Temps (again)

I think 225 is too low for a summit to cook at. When I cook on the summit, I am amazed at how little the intake and exhaust need to be open to cook at 275. I also cook with a water pan in my summit. It seems to act like a heat sink to keep the temperature more stable. Both kamado grills that I have had liked to cook hotter and it was always a struggle to cook lower

I think 225 is too low for a summit to cook at. When I cook on the summit, I am amazed at how little the intake and exhaust need to be open to cook at 275. I also cook with a water pan in my summit. It seems to act like a heat sink to keep the temperature more stable. Both kamado grills that I have had liked to cook hotter and it was always a struggle to cook lower

Well that’s disappointing. Isn’t 225* the primo temp for smoking?

Well that’s disappointing. Isn’t 225* the primo temp for smoking?
No, you can smoke at whatever temperature you want and have great results. I have cooked at 225, 250, 275 and have gotten the same results. The biggest difference is that the lower you cook, your window of when your meat is done to overdone is larger. Learn to cook at 250 or 275 and save yourself some sleep and anxiety. I have posted a lot of my techniques that are mostly what I learned from Johnny Trigg.

Well it started to drop below 220.
Cookers do that when you use natural fuels, since they don't always burn at a steady rate. If it stayed there for over 45 minutes, I might nudge a lower vent a hair.
If I was paying attention.

You have to learn your cooker, sometimes that means running it without food in it, seeing where it runs for a given vent setting.

Cookers do that when you use natural fuels, since they don't always burn at a steady rate. If it stayed there for over 45 minutes, I might nudge a lower vent a hair.
If I was paying attention.

You have to learn your cooker, sometimes that means running it without food in it, seeing where it runs for a given vent setting.

I thought the lower vent didn’t move for the summit.

But it was at 225* at one point. And that was what I wanted. Why did it jump up ?
Why is 225 so important it's not a magic number? Cooked this at 325-330 for 3hrs wrapped then bumped the temp up to 375-380, just as good as cooking at 225, 9lb Butt took 5.5hrs to cook.

CAQvFbL.jpg

BTLHM5L.jpg

l8qpjFQ.jpg

lVU4cSe.jpg

What happens if don't touch it for an hour or 2? 225 or 275 or 300... only difference is time. Patience... thinking about touching the vents...stop... drink another beer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought the lower vent didn’t move for the summit.
Any cooker I've ever seen or used, the temp is first controlled by the intake. Only if that doesn't work is the exhaust ever anything but wide open. When the exhaust is less than the intake, dirty smoke results.

The summit has a set spot for the lower vent. This is in the manual

No it doesn’t, no it’s not.

Dude, I gotta give it to you for sticking with the Summit while having so many issues with it for over two years. However, maybe you’d be happier with a pellet grill.

No it doesn’t, no it’s not.

Dude, I gotta give it to you for sticking with the Summit while having so many issues with it for over two years. However, maybe you’d be happier with a pellet grill.

Is that sarcasm? I don’t know what that is.

Any cooker I've ever seen or used, the temp is first controlled by the intake. Only if that doesn't work is the exhaust ever anything but wide open. When the exhaust is less than the intake, dirty smoke results.
Cooking on a Hunsaker your intake is more open than the exhaust and it gives a cleaner smoke profile than I get off the Weber Performer or got off the WSM, doesn't matter it's all about the draft.

No sarcasm at all.

I’m simply suggesting that maybe you would be happier with a grill that you can turn a dial to set the temperature.

Back