THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not my sponsorship...I am the one being sponsored...and...I don't make a dime off them. They provide me with their products for free...in return I fly their banner to promote their products. I'm sure I'm the ONLY team that doesn't call each and every promoter to see if it's ok to fly my sponsor's banners...how rude of me!

guessing it is the first or last time you will be rude to someone.

guessing it is the first or last time you will be rude to someone.

This is actually becoming pretty comical...so...what you are saying (please correct me if I'm wrong here) is that EVERY team with a sponsor should check with EVERY competition promoter to see if it's ok to fly their sponsors banners BEFORE signing up to cook the event?

Guessing you are not a contest organizer.

You guessed correct, but in all sports that I know of where there are competitors who have sponsors NASCAR being the easiest example like I stated above competitors have sponsors who are in direct competition against the sponsors of events. It's also a two way street, the contests are making money off of the competitors. Teams are not trying to make money from contests they are simply trying to offset te huge costs which will allow them to do more contests. After all if teams can't afford to compete then contests are up the creek also.

Here's my take on it. Unlike the NFL or NASCAR there is no sponsor revenue sharing programs with the teams. Unless a contest returns 100% or more of the entry fees back to the cooks they are using the cooks as a revenue source. While a comp is certainly entitled to set it's own rules for team displays (these restrictions should be disclosed on the entry form) I think it's disingenuous for the organizer/comp/sanctioning body to make money off of sponsorships and the cooks while at the same time restricting the cook's ability to defray the cost of participating via sponsorship displays.

Here's my take on it. Unlike the NFL or NASCAR there is no sponsor revenue sharing programs with the teams. Unless a contest returns 100% or more of the entry fees back to the cooks they are using the cooks as a revenue source. While a comp is certainly entitled to set it's own rules for team displays (these restrictions should be disclosed on the entry form) I think it's disingenuous for the organizer/comp/sanctioning body to make money off of sponsorships and the cooks while at the same time restricting the cook's ability to defray the cost of participating via sponsorship displays.

I can see that this is going to be a pissing contest but I heartily disagree with you. This is BBQ, not Nascar or the NFL. Few of us make a living at this. I just don't feel that it is our business how the organizer makes his money. We as teams can make a decision on whether to cook based on the prize fund, entry fee and rules. If the organizer states in the rules that banners are not to be displayed if they conflict with a sponsor, the team can make a decision if they want to participate based on the prize fund or entry fee. If a team decides that they do not like the rules, fee or prizes they can decide not to participate. It is as simple as that. If an organizer was forced to live up to a revenue sharing agreement I think we would see much fewer contests.

Being you referenced the NFL, I also disagree with the way their player compensation is structured. Do you think your boss would pay you a salary and give you half of his profits? Revenue sharing is greed plain and simple. I was happy when this years lockout was ended, not because the players got a good deal. I just felt badly about all of the little guys that were getting hurt like the vendor or stadium employees who depend on their salaries to feed their families. Where else is a business required to give half of it's profits to the employees? It's just pure greed.

Lots of companies have various forms of revenue sharing. This was a collectively bargained and agreed upon revenue sharing plan between business owners and their employees. It sounds to me like your understanding of the salary cap may be a bit skewed. While there is a minimum level of the cap to be followed, the real import of the NFL's salary system is to ensure that no team spends more than the agreed upon limit. That's why they call it a cap, and not a minimum. Regardless, just to play DA, how many other industries do you know where an employer can say to his employees "I want you to sign a contract with me that prevents you from working for any of my competitors for X years, and you don't have a right to any more money between now and then, but I can fire you any time I want?" I think it's a big ball of CBA, and owners want to have "rights" to players and the abillity to cut them, players are going to want to ensure that they get something out of it. Keep in mind that Free Agency and the Salary Cap were instigated at the same time to counter-balance each other.

dmp

I can see that this is going to be a pissing contest but I heartily disagree with you.
I don't know that we're that far apart...
This is BBQ, not Nascar or the NFL. Few of us make a living at this.
Irrelevant
I just don't feel that it is our business how the organizer makes his money.
The reverse is also true
We as teams can make a decision on whether to cook based on the prize fund, entry fee and rules. If the organizer states in the rules that banners are not to be displayed if they conflict with a sponsor, the team can make a decision if they want to participate based on the prize fund or entry fee. If a team decides that they do not like the rules, fee or prizes they can decide not to participate.
Absolutely agree - the team has the ultimate authority to choose to participate or not in the event.
It is as simple as that. If an organizer was forced to live up to a revenue sharing agreement I think we would see much fewer contests.
See below
Being you referenced the NFL, I also disagree with the way their player compensation is structured.
I wasn't referring to the player's relationship with the team, I was referring to the way the League share revenue with the team franchises

I think you're missing the point of the revenue sharing comment, let me try and explain my point better. In the NFL and NASCAR (and some other games / sports) advertizing and sponsorship revenue is shared between the League and the team franchises. As a team you can't run an AT&T car in the Sprint cup but your team does get Sprint sponsorship dollars as prize money, exposure via the Sprint cup and direct support via the revenue sharing system.

Back to BBQ, events(organizers) generate revenue in a number of ways - team entry fees, sponsorships, admission sales, vendor fees etc. That's all fine but I think it's kinda crappy to tell a competitor who's paying money to participate in your event that you're also choking off their outside revenue stream. It's even crappier to surprise them with it the day of the event.

"Back to BBQ, events(organizers) generate revenue in a number of ways - team entry fees, sponsorships, admission sales, vendor fees etc. That's all fine but I think it's kinda crappy to tell a competitor who's paying money to participate in your event that you're also choking off their outside revenue stream. It's even crappier to surprise them with it the day of the event."

WOW! Ya'll get to make money off your sponsors product...??? (other than winning the comp with it)!!! I gotta have me a talk with mine about some kick-backs! Hey Steph and Darian...where's my damn money (Myron mod)...??? Lol!

Don't you??:shocked:

Lol! The only money we make is if we win...or at least place in the money for each meat or side category. We are also very thankful for our sponsors...they shoulder all the expenses to manufacture and ship their product to us...it's the least we can do to fly their banner and talk up their products...especially if we are fortunate enough to win with them!

Interesting thread. Another issue with a lot of passion on both sides, and respectfully presented.

This has never been an issue with our contest. We have many small sponsors, not one big one. This thread illustrates one reason why we do not try to "bag a whale" for a sponsor.

If you have one "whale" sponsor and lose it... you're toast. If you have twenty small to moderate sponsors and lose one it's not a good thing, but you still survive. And it helps to avoid the sponsorship conflicts.

If you have one "whale" sponsor and lose it... you're toast. If you have twenty small to moderate sponsors and lose one it's not a good thing, but you still survive. And it helps to avoid the sponsorship conflicts.

If anyone ever lands a "whale" to sponsor a million dollar event in this country...and if that "whale" doesn't want anyone else flying sponsor banners but him/her...I'm pretty sure my sponsors won't mind us not flying their banners...:cool: More than likely our sponsors will be there NOT flying their own banners for a shot at that purse...:becky:

Since that possibility is fairly remote...unless Ronnie Cates lands a biggie in Vegas in the future (and then I'm fairly certain Ronnie doesn't give a rat's patootie about who's banner you fly)...then we'll stick to cookin' our twenty or so small fry comps per year that allow us to fly our banners...:thumb:

Back