THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
I posted the other day that I was looking to do a competition coming up in February. http://www.smokinontherio.com/aboutus.htm

I found a sponsor today who is giving me $300 for the entry fee and other expenses and he will get me a banner made.

Now I need a team name. I have always thought that if I opened a bbq place, I would name it Walter's BBQ after my dad, who passed away in 2001. It was he that got me started smoking briskets as I was always trying to make brisket as good as his.

His technique was unorthodox, but it worked for him and my family loved his brisket. I started cooking his way, but have moved on to a more traditional way of cooking.

But, like I said, he got me started and I guess this could be the beginning of Walter's BBQ.

What do ya'll think?

That's a great way to pay homageto the man who got you started cooking and probably a lot of other fun stuff...

Just a suggestion....How about cooking the brisket with his unorthodox method for or at least incorporate some part of his technique for the first contest ? That would be a really cool tribute to get Walter's BBQ going !!

That is a good idea MS. His technique was basically like KickAssbbq's. He started the brisket under smoke in a pan for about 9 hours, then added some liquid, covered in foil and cooked another 3 hours. He never had a traditional smoker, he used an old kenmore bbq gas grill and a wood box that held hickory chunks.

I like to think I make que almost as good as his. Now, I just wish I was a good as him at golf.

I like the idea and used it myself. My dad also got me smoking and grilling years ago and he also passed away in 2001.

I couldn't use his name as a team name but started using our backetball team name, Wildcat Smokers. Watching UK play was one thing beside BBQ we loved to do together.

As a to date non competitor (just kitchen help) I think he would be proud and I think there is a way through KCBS you can at least get a cursory check that it is not already used. My 2cents

jgh1204,
Walter's BBQ would be a GREAT name and your father would know about it and be proud!!!
I don't think your dad used my method of smoking Brisket, I was probably using HIS method.
I used it at my 1st comp and got a 1st Place Trophy and check for my Brisket.
I just wish I would have known your dad, too. He could have taught me a lot of things about BBQ.
Smoke On!!!! Walter!!!!!
ed

I can't think of a single thing that would be a higher praise to your Father than that.

I only hope that one day my son will have the " Spicebag Smoking Team" in honor of me.:roll:

Just kidding!!! I do think it is quite an honor!! Good Job and Good Luck!!

Spice

Great name and Good Luck with that! If you wanted to check, the BBQ Forum has a link to a list of all the team names. It is NOT complete, but it'll do in order to see if there is a Walter's BBQ team out there already. Of course, you could always use it anyways, but I have seen this cause HUGE disappointment ...example - at MIM last year...they announced a winner ... "the Bastey Boys" , and it WASN'T our buds from NEBS (who we were standing next to, by the way)....how depressing to think (if only for an instant) that you won (WOO-HOO!!) and then find out that it was just another team that had that same name. (DARN, that's the end...)

It's a great name. Also get a Brethren banner. At least a small brethren sign. Check with Phil. Always cool to have another flying our colors.

Back