Tall WSM 22"

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
The other day I received the center ring replacement from Weber. I filed a warranty claim because some of the porcelain coating was deteriorating. I'm curious about stacking the center ring on top of the existing one. I've seen where some of these companies that do modifications for wsm's that they make the unit taller. what benefit is this? To add more cooking racks? I rarely use the bottom second cooking rack on my existing WSM. I was thinking by adding another Center ring that it would be good for cold smoke.

Dealing with Weber was a dream. no questions asked they sent me a new center ring free of charge and got it in two days.

Like this?

ufreak-1.jpg

K- I'll bite- I'd venture to guess the main reason to add a second middle section would be to add capacity. I don't own a wsm (UDS FTW).

Guessing that they will not just mate up without some sort of aluminum foil doughnut. The Cajun Bandit product will have taken the flange directions into account.

Would stacking middle sections help with cold smoking? I'm out... but I can't see why it might.

Good luck.

Like this?

ufreak-1.jpg

exactly like this but I don't know how he was able to fit those two Center rings together dot he mentioned something about aluminum foil so I guess you just have to get aluminum foil and just bunch it up until like a rope on the edge and then it will rest firmly and also provide a good seal so maybe I should try that as well

Tall WSM 22"

I've done it before. Make sure the flow is not interrupted or you will have condensation everywhere. And do some push ups prior to the cook. You will need the upper body strength to pick up the section with meat and hoist it 3 feet off the ground.

2804905f9293b0a209bcc87afeaebd9b.jpg

Last edited:
I've done it before. Make sure the flow is not interrupted or you will have condensation everywhere. And do some push ups prior to the cook. You will need the upper body strength to pick up the section with meat and hoist it 3 feet off the ground.

2804905f9293b0a209bcc87afeaebd9b.jpg

i see you modified the vent on the hood. you use this as a cold smoker? what did you use to combine the 2 center rings? i tried aluminum foil but it was still lop sided. i like the idea of having a bigger chamber for cold smoking cheese and pork belly. ive tried using my auber temp control fan on the inside of the smoker to circulate air(to prevent too much smoke) for cold smoking. doesnt work to well but better than nothing

Tall WSM 22"

i see you modified the vent on the hood. you use this as a cold smoker? what did you use to combine the 2 center rings? i tried aluminum foil but it was still lop sided. i like the idea of having a bigger chamber for cold smoking cheese and pork belly. ive tried using my auber temp control fan on the inside of the smoker to circulate air(to prevent too much smoke) for cold smoking. doesnt work to well but better than nothing

The vent was modified because I needed more draw than the 4 holes in the damper. I used some lava lock 1/2” gaskets since they were more forgiving. Still leaned but it was not leaking. I did 6 briskets in mine.

Back