t & e MEATclub!

ExperiencedRookie

Found some matches.
Hey guys!

I was encouraged to write more about the "MEATclub" I started with my wife a few months back. So here goes nothing...

I started BBQing and grilling at around 12/13 years old. I loved the baby back ribs my grandad made and wanted to emulate him. My mom cooked a lot and is literally one of the best cooks around (I do have bias, but she really does make great stuff).

I fooled around with ribs on my dad's old new braunfels smoker. It was a lot of fun starting out and I think my family probably lied and told me it was good. But a few years later I started getting a lot better and their praise increased (and seemed more genuine haha) and I got more opportunities to BBQ for folks.

I started making my own rubs, sauces, and all sorts of different stuff.

My love for BBQ increased in college but I wasn't able to smoke much because I was always so broke. My friends and I would eat at Stanley's BBQ in Tyler as much as we could and after bothering the owner for a job for probably 2-3 years I gave up my dreams of working there and learning more about BBQ.

After I got married I was able to BBQ a lot more and my wife bought me a WSM for Christmas one year. After I had the WSM I was smoking almost every weekend for anyone who would either eat and tell me what they thought or would buy the meat for me to smoke.

(This is probably a year ago btw.)

I was able to start smoking once a month for a potluck type lunch at our church. Everyone went nuts for the stuff I was bringing and the lunches doubled in size every time. It was a lot of fun and really the first time that people outside of my friends and family complimented my BBQ. This really encouraged me that maybe I am pretty good at this and could do it for a living.

My dreams for opening a BBQ joint were still 5-10 years or more off but I was very happy about all the support we we're getting.

I saw a post from Daniel Vaughn, aka @BBQsnob, about the Foodways, TX symposium in Austin. The theme was "Our Barbecue, Ourselves" and it was an all-star line up of TX BBQ legends. My wife graciously allowed me to scrape together the $300 or so it cost and I was able to attend the event.

I had been working at a famous tex-mex restaurant here in Fort Worth for about a year but had just started on at a small BBQ joint in Hurst, TX where the owner had just bought the place and was a friend of my father in laws. The place was horrendous. Everything they were doing was awful and counter to how I would run a restaurant and specifically how I would smoke BBQ and cook food. I emailed Aaron Franklin (shot in the dark) and told him about what was going on and my moral dilemma in working at a place I didn't agree with. He actually responded! and was very helpful in giving some great advice and after a month I decided it'd be best for both parties if I quit there.

When I saw Aaron was going to be catering and attending this event I had to go.

At the event I got to share beers with Aaron, eat lunch across from Daniel Vaughn, talk to Wayne Mueller while he was working with his famous beef ribs, talk to Bryan Bracewell about sausage, Justin Fourton, Dan Delaney, Greg Gatlin, Robb Walsh. It was incredible and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I told most of them that it was my dream to open a small Q joint in Fort Worth and the general consensus was "just do it!" haha A lot of the guys even gave me their personal cell numbers and said to call if I ever need anything. Overwhelmingly nice guys. I can't say enough about them.

So I return home fired up to take my BBQ to the next level.

My uncle in Marshall, TX had custom made a bunch of BBQ pits over the years and had one lying around in his yard that he never used. I asked him if I could buy it from him for $500 and he said I could take it for free if I came and picked it up! So with my wife and dog I rented a Uhaul truck and trailer and drove down that morning to pick it up.

The pit is made from an old steel refinery drum. It is about 12ft long and 3 ½ ft in diameter. The pit is 1/2” thick steel throughout and we estimate between 2-4,000 lbs. It’s a beast.

Unfortunately, the next day my uncle passed away from a heart attack (it was his 3rd and he was a Vietnam vet) so the moment was very bittersweet.

But now I had this huge pit and had to think of how I could actually use the damn thing.

The wife and I decided to start hosting backyard barbecues where we basically asked that folks pay for the costs of all the food and we would provide the place, the BBQ, music and cold beer.

We called it: t & e MEATclub

We have had 2 official events so far and a bunch of smaller events and have had an overwhelming amount of support from folks who have come out.

We try to keep a rotating menu but the main focus is traditional TX style barbecue with creative sides and delicious desserts. Everything is home made from scratch. I try to buy the best quality meat I can and the same goes for our sides and desserts too.

We have really been blessed with the amount of folks who have encouraged and supported us and continue to do so.

We aren’t looking to make any money or anything right now, it’s just all about throwing an awesome barbecue and making sure everyone has a fun time.

It’s been great for me because I have been able to practice using my huge smoker with all different types of meats and dishes. And although it is a fun laid back atmosphere, it forces me to really try and do my best because people are paying for the food so in essence I have been able to test different recipes and things in a high pressure environment. It’s been a lot of fun!

Lately, we have had a few folks that have really been pushing us to open a restaurant. I am interested in starting small and would most like to start out of a food trailer. I have had a few meetings with potential investors and other guys that want to help out and turn MEATclub into a business.

My biggest struggle right now is trying to keep the fun natured atmosphere of MEATclub while still consistently growing it.

If we were able to turn it into a business that would definitely fulfill a dream of mine so I can’t say I wouldn’t want that.

I'd appreciate any advice from guys who have started a BBQ joint, vend or cater. It's fun to see how everyone started out and how their places have grown.

Any thoughts on what we should do for our next MEATclub would be appreciated too. I am always trying to think of new things!

Thanks for reading!

P.S. Our next event is November 9th, so if you’re in the DFW area I’d be happy to have you there!

Fun read! I hope you get to make your dream happen soon! Cool that you got to meet all those folks!!!

Nov 2nd we are having a Brethren bash at Lake Ray Roberts. A link is in my signature. If you are available, it would be great to have you come out!

That is an awesome story and sounds like a great journey. If i was in the DFW area I would stop by in a heartbeat.

Hopefully you can get some great advice for catering/vending/ bbq joint. Try the catering section for advice. There are people on the forums that do this for a living.

Good luck on your continued journey!

Really nice read. As for the next event, I would do some shoulder clod. Not enough folks do it this far north in the state let alone do it right.

Peeps--Thanks man! I will be in Austin that weekend for the TMBBQ Fest so I doubt I'll be able to make it. But hopefully I can make the next one.

SmittyJonz--I have a lot of pictures and more info on my blog at travisheim.tumblr.com

aawa--Thanks for the love brother!

sliding_billy--I would like to try some shoulder clod. I know a few places around here that used it for chopped beef sandwiches. My dad said my grandfather would smoke whole quarters and beef shoulders back in the late 50's-60's in east texas. I'd like to try and replicate his stuff some day.

Really cool story. The MEATclub is a brilliant way to build a fanbase for your future business. I have little doubt you'll realize your dream - and I, for one, will be a patron. (I do a lot of business in TX)

Keep cookin and feedin people. Far as I know, that's the only way to get better. As the saying goes, "you judge a cook by the size of his ash pile."

Great story and thanks for sharing.

I think many of the folks on here harbor a dream to someday cook professionally in their own place

Thanks guys!

MEATclub has been a lot of fun so far.

I'm hoping we can keep throwing awesome parties and I can work on and tweak different recipes in the process.

I appreciate the support!

Back