THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
I am sure we have all see the wonderful pictures of "Swineapples" all over the web and on the many social media outlets.

I think one of the most common mistakes that people encounter when trying to replicate the "Swineapple" dish, is that they simply rush into making what they see as a fantastic unique dish. I can't count the number of times I have heard that the dish they attempted to make, ends mostly in failure. Most don't like the final texture of the meat, calling it mushy, or that the pork has no texture at all. I am sure we all have heard the saying "haste makes waste"; Consequently this is the end result of what some have experienced.

If we do our homework, we will understand that raw pineapple contains a digestive enzyme called bromelain. Under normal conditions, connective tissue and collagen tighten up during the cooking cooking process when heat is applied, thus creating a dense chew and a tougher piece of meat. Bromelain works to breakdown the connective tissue, collagen, and also denaturing proteins. Commercial meat tenderizers often use bromelain; sometimes combined with a marinade, or sold in a powdered form to be directly sprinkled on the uncooked meat. Bromelain separates the peptide bonds that link the proteins in collagen. Since the collagen and connective tissue give the muscle tissue its shape; once it's broken down, the muscle tissue begins losing firmness and texture. However if you leave meat exposed to bromelain for for a period of time, it would be noticeably mushy, so much so that you probably wouldn't want to eat it.

Subsequently, cooked or canned pineapple does not have a tenderizing effect, as the bromelain enzymes are heat-labile and are deactivated in the cooking process. So we now know the key to a successful "Swineapple" cook, without mushy textured pork, is to deactivate the bromelain enzymes with heat. Using canned pineapple just doesn't give that sweet flavor and texture that we associate with fresh pineapple.

My apologies for the not so good pictures, I lost my camera and had to use my cell phone today.

I start by taking the cored pineapple and placing it on the grill to partially cook and caramelize it, which will also deactivate the bromelain enzymes. If you want a little more flavor, you can dust the outside of the pineapple with Oakridge Smokey Chilie Lime All Purpose Rub. This adds a hint of heat and the zest of lime, to the natural sweetness of the caramelized pineapple. Roll the pineapple on the grill to cook all the way around the circumference of the fruit. Also stand the pineapple on each end to assist in heating the inside surface of the pineapple as well.

enhance

Next butterfly and grill your pork tenderloin to nearly done, this also helps to stop any enzyme action on the surface of the meat.

enhance

Stuff your partially cooked pork tenderloin into the pineapple and return it to the grill until your pork reaches the finished temperature you prefer, thus creating your delicious "Swineapple" creation.

enhance

enhance

I've seen some cover the "Swineapple" in a bacon weave, but I find the tight bacon weave creates an overpowering flavor to the pineapple.

enhance

Instead I prefer a slightly open bacon weave with a candied bacon rub, thus balancing all the ingredient flavors of the finished product. Candied Bacon Rub can be made by mixing 2 part brown sugar with 1 part Oakridge Chile Lime All Purpose Rub. Lightly sprinkle on the bacon before putting on the heat.

enhance

Back