THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dustin Dorsey

Full Fledged Farker
I got a chance to stop and have the Real Deal Holyfield breakfast taco with a slice of brisket. Damn that was good. The brisket was top notch. I noticed that there was a sweet taste to that fat cap and I've noticed it at several other joints like Cattelack's in Dallas. Does anyone have any idea what this taste comes from? It's it something in the rub? I've heard guys like Franklin mention vanilla flavors coming from smoke at higher temps. I don't think I've ever achieved this at home. It might be hard to do on a backyard pit where the fire can never be as hot.

If it’s not a sugar in the rub, I’d guess pecan wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I missed my chance to try that a couple of years ago when I was in Austin, but now I have a reason to come back.

Everyone claims they use salt/pepper or simple rubs, so I was thinking it had to be something else. Perhaps a trade secret? Valentina's cooks with Mesquite. I use mostly pecan at home, but some oak. I've seen people occasionally describe beef fat as having a sweet taste, but I've never noticed that. I want to say Louie Mueller had the same flavor and they claim salt/pepper as well.

I think its a combination of a few things. I think rendering the fat perfectly gives it a sweetness and managing the combustion of the fire can impact the flavor. The volume those restaurants do their pit staff has a ton of experience.

I also think they have access to wood seasoned right to there preference. It takes me a bit to go thru a load of wood so i bet a lot of times I've got wood that is drier than idea. I would guess some of those restaurants go thru a few cords a week, where a half cord lasts me a long time.

I think its a combination of a few things. I think rendering the fat perfectly gives it a sweetness and managing the combustion of the fire can impact the flavor. The volume those restaurants do their pit staff has a ton of experience.

I also think they have access to wood seasoned right to there preference. It takes me a bit to go thru a load of wood so i bet a lot of times I've got wood that is drier than idea. I would guess some of those restaurants go thru a few cords a week, where a half cord lasts me a long time.

I think you might be right. I was just wondering if it was something in the rub. Lawry's might account for it. I haven't tried that out yet. I may do it on some beef ribs. That taste is something more complex than just sugar and it's sublime when I encounter it. I've used rubs with sugar on brisket before and not tasted this. If there's a trick I sure wanna know what it is.

I’ve used Lawrys, it doesn’t give that sweet flavor. Pretty sure it’s white sugar. Here is a video from a smokehouse in Toronto - the owner/pit master is from Texas. A few minutes in he’s putting white sugar on the briskets. It has the flavor you mention. If you ask Jirby on one of his Q&A’s, he’ll probably tell you as well.

https://youtu.be/yW-2SBgCJLs

Back