THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hozman

Take a breath!
Really want to try something new for my pork butts. What do you guys think of this injection for pork butts? Dr. Chicken uses it for hams.

Ingredients: 1 Cup of Good clean water (if your city or well water has an offensive taste, please use bottled water) 1 Cup of light Karo syrup (make sure it is light Karo brand syrup) 1/8 Cup of Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference) 2 Tbs of Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract (this is the only Butter-Pecan extract I could find) Note: I ran out of this twice in the past few months so I substituted "Blackburn's Butter Pecan" pancake syrup. Not a bad substitution. Double the amount shown here as Butter Pecan extract. 1 Tbs of Rum extract (again, I used Watkins because of the better taste than store bought) 1 tsp of Orange extract (this compliments the orange juice concen. used in the glaze or basting sauce)(cut this in half or use 1 Tbsp of orange juice concentrate....otherwise it may overpower the entire recipe.) 1 to 2 TBS Vanilla extract (again, I used Watkins because of taste after the first run) Directions for blending: Into a medium size sauce pan add the water, Karo syrup and Amaretto. Stir frequently and heat very slowly to avoid scorching the sugars in the syrup. Then, add all the remaining ingredients and continue to stir and heat slowly. When the mix looks uniform in color and smooth, remove mix from the stove and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.

I am more apt to think a simple injection would work just fine - let us know how it works out. Lot's of flavors to work through on that one.

trying to fins some different flavor profiles for comps. I have never been one to inject or marinade my pork. However, not doing well in the taste category of my pork so looking to kick it up a notch. Goose may be right in going with simple injection first. Thought this one would stand out a bit.

Don't know how that one would turn out for a butt. It's REALLY sweet. Goes great with ham though.

Try Chris Lilly's Pork Injection. I use it at home and LOVE IT.
3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C table salt
2 TBS worschestershire sauce
(NOTE: this recipe is for 2 butts)

I've decreased the salt a little more each time. Last time I halved the salt and I didn't think it was enough. I think somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 C table salt is the magic.

Back