THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sigh... More pictures and talk about if it is worth it and how it cooks, less bumping by Smitty... :mrgreen:

well here you go :mrgreen: it works great as a grill or a smoker and love this Assassin . I made maze pieces out of square tubing and I can get 11 and a half hour cooks on it smoking at 275 degrees but when going through the maze the temps do fluctuates side to side about 35 degrees when the maze burns from one end to the other . If you do not use a maze and just do a straight snake I can still get a 6 hour cook with it with no electronics and for the money this is one awesome grill / smoker . I have no input on the water pan because I have never used it and hate water in my cooker and find no need for it . My only thing I would do different if I designed the smoker is I would make one stack on each end to control temps side to side better or to shut the left stack off and cook like a off set smoker with it but it is still a great cooker for the money .

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff...

I'd be concerned with your maze that at some point, the fire is moving under the meat. Do you just keep an eye on it and move the meat appropriately?

well here you go :mrgreen: it works great as a grill or a smoker and love this Assassin . I made maze pieces out of square tubing and I can get 11 and a half hour cooks on it smoking at 275 degrees but when going through the maze the temps do fluctuates side to side about 35 degrees when the maze burns from one end to the other . If you do not use a maze and just do a straight snake I can still get a 6 hour cook with it with no electronics and for the money this is one awesome grill / smoker . I have no input on the water pan because I have never used it and hate water in my cooker and find no need for it . My only thing I would do different if I designed the smoker is I would make one stack on each end to control temps side to side better or to shut the left stack off and cook like a off set smoker with it but it is still a great cooker for the money .
I take it you are using the V-pan for a diffuser instead of a dry water pan?

Thanks Jeff...

I'd be concerned with your maze that at some point, the fire is moving under the meat. Do you just keep an eye on it and move the meat appropriately?

It has a V-Pan that is a option and it kind of works like a off-set and the only time I haft to move the meat is way into the cook when it hits the vent holes in the V-Pan but you can also put on gloves and take the V-Pan out and reverse the flow and not haft to move the meat .

I take it you are using the V-pan for a diffuser instead of a dry water pan?

yes and I use the empty water pan as a shelf below the smoke , it has area you can store the V-Pan or the water pan .

I have the 36 version and jerry rigged my Pitmaster IQ.. used a stainless steel dog bowl and fashioned it after the stock setup from Pitmaster IQ haha. Not beautiful but works fine. A few weeks ago I cooked a brisket and 2 racks of ribs.. all came out great. Haven't noticed the temp difference in mine.. but can't say I've checked either. Thanks to Jeff I'm also running a snake just like his. Thinking of going straight up the middle and just reloading if necessary. Lots of ways to cook on this grill/smoker.. very versatile.

I know this is an older thread but what works better for smoking? The water pan or v pan?if grilling do you not use a pan at all?

This thing appears to be one highly versatile grill.

I have a Kamado Joe BigJoe & JoeJr. They are super cookers, rock steady.....run great. Capacity is good, but at times I have to used extension racks and such. It's hard to get prolonged heavy smoke....just at the beginning of a cook.

One of these grills would be nice to have for dang near everything I like to do....so long as I can get good steady temp control and runtimes that will allow for butt cooks (I like 275-300). It sure would make for those times when I want to cook several butts for work cooks.

Also looks like I could get more wood smoke flavor throughout the cook with one.

A pimped out Pirate Purple lid would be right on time, too.

I have the 36" model. First cook on it I put down a single layer of B&B lump across the charcoal grate. Lit about 2/3 chimney & dumped it in an open space I left on the end of the grate. I was able to dial it in around 275 with the intake vent barely cracked & the stack about 1/3 open. Held pretty steady for 4-5 hours during a rib cook using the water pan. The ribs were moist & tender but I didn't like the texture from cooking over water. I will probably be getting the V-pan soon. If you are planning on smoking butts, I recommend the V-pan over the water pan. You may also look at getting the Pitmaster IQ & the intake adaptor. Assassin now offers an insulated firebox door with a ball valve instead of the daisy wheel.

I have the 36" model. First cook on it I put down a single layer of B&B lump across the charcoal grate. Lit about 2/3 chimney & dumped it in an open space I left on the end of the grate. I was able to dial it in around 275 with the intake vent barely cracked & the stack about 1/3 open. Held pretty steady for 4-5 hours during a rib cook using the water pan. The ribs were moist & tender but I didn't like the texture from cooking over water. I will probably be getting the V-pan soon. If you are planning on smoking butts, I recommend the V-pan over the water pan. You may also look at getting the Pitmaster IQ & the intake adaptor. Assassin now offers an insulated firebox door with a ball valve instead of the daisy wheel.

Thanks.

Do you find temp variances across the span of the grate with the V-pan in use?

I don't have a V-pan (yet), so I can't answer that. Hopefully BBQ Freak will chime in with an answer

I spoke with Jeff at Assassin Smokers this morning.

Great conversation.....hung up the phone and was craving some bbq. :thumb:

He said he described using the first 1/2 of the coal tray and loading with quality briquettes and wood and getting 5-6 hours run times at 225-250 and reloading as needed for longer cooks.

He said he gets really even temps doing things this way.

It sounds like a very versatile grill.

I wish I had the funds for all the grills I'd like to have, lol. I'd order his Assassin 24 and a 48 grill. I'd be able to do some serious.....serious cooks with this setup.

I really appreciate the time he took to explain things and let me know what to expect.

I'm afraid that if I go ahead and order a 48.....and go pick it up......that another order for a 24 will take place.

How far does the V Pan Reach - all way side to side? I'm thinking center exhaust and v pan with less slots BUT slots on both ends........Run like my TBone and TBone II did.......

yF736Dol.jpeg

Last edited:
Back