Stumps Baby XL Help

smoken2

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
kenneth
Ok, so got my new Baby XL. Did initial burn which went fine. First cook had trouble getting above 275. Ok, so maybe I rushed things and I didn't let it pre heat and get up to full temp before I loaded it. Second cook got up to 275, vents open 100%. Falling to 200. :roll: What am I doing wrong? Obviously an air flow problem. Seems like charcoal is getting packed in the chute. ??? Do I need to empty chute after each cook? I wouldn't think so .....

Thanks

No, Not yet. I just ordered one. I figured I could do it dial it in manually. I have a BGE and a PBC and don't have a problem.
I figured vents wide open that thing should be screaming!!

It takes a while to get up to temperature if you’re not using a controller.

Last edited:
Not sure what brand you are using but when I had my Stump's it liked a hotter burning charcoal and did not like Kingsford blue bag and also do not pack the charcoal in the chute and let it fall naturally . It is best to let the smoker come up to temp before adding food and i always kept my exhaust half open and then adjust the ball valve but when doing so do it in 1/4 turns and let it settle in in and it will takes awhile to make the next adjustment .

Not sure what brand you are using but when I had my Stump's it liked a hotter burning charcoal and did not like Kingsford blue bag and also do not pack the charcoal in the chute and let it fall naturally . It is best to let the smoker come up to temp before adding food and i always kept my exhaust half open and then adjust the ball valve but when doing so do it in 1/4 turns and let it settle in in and it will takes awhile to make the next adjustment .

Funny you say that. I am using the Kinsford Blue Bag. I'll shop for something else. Not sure how 'not to' pack the chute. I just pour the bag in. Maybe don't fill it? I wanted to have enough fuel for the whole cook. Thanks for the info !!

Once lit, I leave the charcoal chute door open, as well as the ash box door, the smokestack closed. I leave it like that until it’s clearly burning good, it ain’t fast. Then I open the smokestack, close the chute, and partially close the ash box door, valve wide open. When it approaches my target temperature, I shut the ash door, set the valve handle to around 7:00 for a 250 degree cook. No controller. I use lump.

Once lit, I leave the charcoal chute door open, as well as the ash box door, the smokestack closed. I leave it like that until it’s clearly burning good, it ain’t fast. Then I open the smokestack, close the chute, and partially close the ash box door, valve wide open. When it approaches my target temperature, I shut the ash door, set the valve handle to around 7:00 for a 250 degree cook. No controller. I use lump.

Maybe I’ll try lump. Making sure it’s not too big. Thank you !

I would try some B&B briquets or something similar first and just pouring them in is fine and a little bit better charcoal is what I would try first and my Stump smoker took about 45 minutes to come up to temp .

Lump, lump, lump. Preferably Royal Oak IMO imparts best flavor of the many I have tried. I know you will love your BabyXL. Cooking machine!

Back