Stuffed some weiners

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I've been experimenting with various forms of sausage and have been wanting to try making my own hotdogs/weiners/frankfurters. I bought a seasoning mix from The Sausage Maker and ground up some beef (chuck and short rib) along with a pork butt using a 1/4" plate.

I used 3lbs of beef and 2lbs of pork for this recipe. Normally when buying store bought hotdogs I'm adamant about all beef hotdogs, but since I'm controlling what goes into the mix I figured I'd try a combo and then do all beef next time.

I had some 22mm collagen casings and 20mm sheep casings on hand, so I went with the collagen, even though I'd prefer more like a 26 or 28mm casing for hotdogs.

I have a Ninja blender with a food processor attachment that I used to attempt an "emulsification". The processor attachment can fit probably 1.5-1.75lbs of mix before it seems too "full" and makes it hard to get the emulsification going. This pic is after I hand mixed in all the ingredients and placed in the processor.

After it was "emulsified" - this was cumulatively probably 30-40 seconds of mixing, I tried to do it in several bursts and then used a spatula to push the mix back down near the blades. I used ice water and small pieces of ice to keep the mix cold and to have the right amount of liquid present that it'd actually emulsify.

I wouldn't say it's the "puree" type you might have seen on the show "How It's Made" when they make hotdogs commercially but I think this is about as good as I'll be able to get it with the tools available to me.

Closeup of the mix:

Ready to go into the stuffer - I have a 5lb stuffer and had to do it in 2 batches. I used exactly 5lbs of meat so the higher than expected volume might be due to air? Not sure.

This is the smallest diameter casing I've used and 5lbs of meat resulted in many feet worth of stuffed casing. I need to work on my twisting method, it becomes especially apparent in such a long contiguous piece. I made some ~12 inchers and another batch closer to "bun length".

The next step after stuffing the frank is to "smoke" them, which is both a preservative and a flavor enhancer. I'm not sure how much smoke "penetrates" collagen, but it'll be on the surface regardless. I used my Mak 2* on the "smoke" setting for this step, which keeps it between 170-180*.

I felt like I was playing that "snake" game that used to be on the old Nokia phones, I was trying to avoid overlap/touching.

The color about halfway through the process - target IT was 145-150*

All done - some of the wrinkling in the casing seems to be due to the links becoming slightly uncoiled as I flipped and repositioned the sections. Doesn't bother me, just not as purdy.

Gotta have a post-smoke sample :thumb: I'm pretty happy with the consistency compared to store bought

The second batch is on there now. The first took a couple hours to reach target IT.

There's a decent amount of work involved for these but it was a labor of love :clap2:

Last edited:
Been thinking about trying HD's...but as you said it's a lot of work.

Thanks for posting all the details...they look outstanding!

I am NOT a hot dog fan, but those look AMAZING!

Normally the only ones I seem to enjoy (maybe because I only get them when visiting the Wife's family) are the Red Snappers that seem to be a predominantly New England thing and Maine specifically, and 99.9% of the time they must be grilled.

Been thinking about trying HD's...but as you said it's a lot of work.

Thanks for posting all the details...they look outstanding!

The emulsification is probably the biggest difference in effort compared to a standard fresh sausage, turning on the pelletpooper and letting it run for a few hours isn't too bad :thumb:

Second batch is nearly done

Nice!

I have been on a hot dog kick lately. Probably made close to 20 lbs in the last couple of months as I tinker with the flavors. As you said, a lot of work. I just grind mine 6 times with a fine plate.........seems to work well for the texture.

How was the flavor of that mix? I have only done homemade but was curious about that.

Pretty good, I went the premix route because I was going to need to order several spices like Mace. I ate one straight off the smoker and though it had good flavor. I think I will need to grill one and develop a little more flavor like I have always done with store bought dogs before I can pass final judgement. I need to find some buns that will properly elevate the two...just had some almost stale leftover ones from the store on hand.

How are you handling the “smoke” step?

Pretty good, I went the premix route because I was going to need to order several spices like Mace. I ate one straight off the smoker and though it had good flavor. I think I will need to grill one and develop a little more flavor like I have always done with store bought dogs before I can pass final judgement. I need to find some buns that will properly elevate the two...just had some almost stale leftover ones from the store on hand.

How are you handling the “smoke” step?

One thing I noticed is that with the homemade ones, they seem to benefit from a rest after cooking. The last couple of times that I grilled some, I ate a couple, then ate some sides, cleaned up a bit, then ate one more and that one was consistently better than the ones that came right off the grill. Assuming the lack of chemicals and crap in it.......just like letting a chunk of meat rest. Who knows, but it has been the case each time.

As far as the smoking, it looks about like you did. Just try to keep the temp down and hope for the best. I got to 150 IT and then into an ice bath.

Man. I can only think of one reason it seemed you had more than 5lbs.. had to do two batches.. I can do 10lbs of sausages I have to feed the stuffer 2 1/2 times.. how is that possible? NO clue.. it just happens haha!

Yeah I mean the water, seasoning, binder etc obviously has volume, just not quite enough to justify the fill level. I filled the 5lb canister ~1.33-1.5 times. Ingredients + air I guess? I’ve not made a 5lb batch of sausage that didn’t fit into the canister so who knows.

Suds,

Absolutely fantastic looking dogs.... I'm about to jump down that rabbit hole. Quick question, have you tried LEMS seasoning? If so what did you think? Is The Sausage Maker better?

Thanks,
Greg

Suds,

Absolutely fantastic looking dogs.... I'm about to jump down that rabbit hole. Quick question, have you tried LEMS seasoning? If so what did you think? Is The Sausage Maker better?

Thanks,
Greg

I’ve used LEM bratwurst, chorizo, maple breakfast sausage, and a pork sausage mix...#10? I was pretty happy with the results, the brats and chorizo I made multiple batches with. The brats I would sometimes add other things like jalapeños and high temp cheddar.

It seems like The Sausage Maker more fully discloses the seasonings in the mix and many of them are based off of recipes in the book “Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing” by Rytek Kutas. In the case of hotdogs, most recipes call for spices I don’t regularly (ever) use like Mace and I’d rather just buy a mix that includes quality ingredients than try to procure everything individually. Maybe someday, but I’m not there currently. I’ve done The Sausage Maker bratwurst, Jalapeno herb, sweet Italian, and their hotdog seasonings so far. I would give the edge to The Sausage Maker brats in a head to head over LEM.

Plenty of fresh sausages can be made with ingredients you’d have in your pantry and herb garden (or grocery store). I mixed up a pork/beef mix the other day that had rosemary, thyme, garlic, kosher salt, and red wine and it was very good. The more complex stuff I currently outsource procurement for and focus on quality of meat and technique to elevate the end result. And it’s always much better than store bought. Also made a couple chicken Asiago and chicken spinach feta sausages from scratch with common pantry ingredients, so it can definitely go both ways.

Last edited:
Nothing beats a Nathan's natural casing. Since Corona, I haven't seen the natural casing packages anywhere. I would love a Nathan's copy cat recipe.

Back