Street Meat (Roadkill) Will Be Legal to Harvest in July

Unless I saw the critter hit would only harvest in cold weather. If it's still warm when it's cold out then it's probably fresh.

It has been legal here in TN for over a decade. When it became legal, lots of roadkill jokes. It still requires calling the kill in to game and fish, but no tag and no season....

My uncle was a detective for the railroad, and got a call that a train had hit a very young doe and broke 2 legs, so he went out to dispatch it. Obviously he called it in to game and fish, and asked where to dispose. Game dept staff said no reason to waste, so he got it. We roasted it whole and it was very yummy.

I have only eaten my own roadkill or when I was present. That all depends on how the deer was hit. Don't much like cutting into a jelly animal. Plus the warmer months they will have ticks so there's that.

People describe the flavor several ways from mild to gamey to skunky. Selection and handling after harvesting makes all the difference in the world. Ideally it's best to take one early in the day and pick an animal that has been inactive, like from a herd that is just grazing. When field dressing, the carcass needs to be rinsed and cooled out with ice as quickly as possible. Feed is a key component. We have this shrub called sagebrush ↓↓↓ and if their diet is mainly that plus native grass, the meat is stronger. If they graze along a river or stream or have access to meadows or hayfields the meat is milder.

KYg8vZL.png

Pronghorns are from the goat family and since they are the 2nd fastest land animal in the world, the meat is lean and has a fine grain. I've eaten it my entire life and like deer my favorite are the backstraps, neck roasts and shoulders. The meat is excellent for jerky and can be cut with pork for sausage.

We soake them in buttermilk. Works perfect on deer. Not so well on possium and dilla.

I have eaten many a roadkill deer. When I worked for MoDot, it was our job to remove the dead carcass from the roadway and dispose of the body. Most of the time, we were able to load the carcass onto the truck by hand. There were times when the deer was so destroyed, we had to use a front end loader to scoop up the remains and take them to an area for burial. We jokingly referred these deer as pretenderized. If the carcass was mainly salvageable, we would harvest the areas that were still good. This only occurred during cold weather. Our motto was, "Warm body on a cold morning." This way we knew it was a fresh kill and the meat had not yet begun to spoil.

Ten years ago during deer season, my son left our house at dusk. While he was still in the driveway waiting to turn onto the highway, he witnessed someone hit a deer and the deer almost hit his car after being hit by the car on the highway. The young buck had its two front legs broken and needed to be put down. I called the sheriff's office to send a deputy to put down the deer as I did not want to shoot my rifle five feet from the edge of the highway. I also wanted a law enforcement officer to verify that the untagged deer I was going to hang in my shed was a roadkilled deer and was not an illegally killed deer taken during deer season. Most of that deer was salvageable.

Deers to you,

Juggy

I have eaten many a roadkill deer. When I worked for MoDot, it was our job to remove the dead carcass from the roadway and dispose of the body. Most of the time, we were able to load the carcass onto the truck by hand. There were times when the deer was so destroyed, we had to use a front end loader to scoop up the remains and take them to an area for burial. We jokingly referred these deer as pretenderized. If the carcass was mainly salvageable, we would harvest the areas that were still good. This only occurred during cold weather. Our motto was, "Warm body on a cold morning." This way we knew it was a fresh kill and the meat had not yet begun to spoil.

Ten years ago during deer season, my son left our house at dusk. While he was still in the driveway waiting to turn onto the highway, he witnessed someone hit a deer and the deer almost hit his car after being hit by the car on the highway. The young buck had its two front legs broken and needed to be put down. I called the sheriff's office to send a deputy to put down the deer as I did not want to shoot my rifle five feet from the edge of the highway. I also wanted a law enforcement officer to verify that the untagged deer I was going to hang in my shed was a roadkilled deer and was not an illegally killed deer taken during deer season. Most of that deer was salvageable.

Deers to you,

Juggy

Yo, Juggy.

It's been years since our paths have crossed, probably in the Green Room or maybe here?? Hope all is swell.

Lager,..... back to you.

Back