THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
For Mother's day this year I made Redhot a variation of something she does that she learned from her Granny. Her version is basically a death by chocolate desert using chocolate graham crackers for the crust and middle/top layers, a couple packages of Jello chocolate instant pudding, a tub of Cool Whip and a can of Chocolate frosting. This is assembled and then chilled in the freezer for serving. So, I decided to do this, but making everything from scratch save the graham cracker. Also, I wanted to use strawberries so I went in search of a strawberry pudding recipe.

Went with this one:

http://jensfavoritecookies.com/2013/06/06/strawberry-pudding/

And doubled it. I used 2 1/2 cups of whole milk and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream instead of 2 and 2 milk and cream.

When the pudding chilled in the fridge overnight, I folded in the whipped cream, then assembled.

The whip cream was two cups heavy cream and a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

The icing was an 8 oz package of Greek yogurt cream cheese, a couple egg whites (I used pasteurized eggs since they weren't being cooked), a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 5 TBS of cocoa powder mixed with 1 TBS shortening, and in between 5 to 6 cups of confectioner's sugar gradually added in until I liked the consistency.

I'm loving my stand mixer by the way.

This was awesome! And, got the Redhot seal of approval.

Here are some pics...

berries_zpsc4809056.jpg

berries1_zpsc3955338.jpg

berries4_zps8fbae7d2.jpg

berries6_zps9f3b74af.jpg

berries5_zps531b52f1.jpg

layer_zpsb51d5344.jpg

layer1_zps3650ef1c.jpg

layer2_zps3a061d98.jpg

layer3_zpseb50d769.jpg

layer4_zpsa6ca865c.jpg

pie2_zpsc71b5220.jpg

pie1_zpsb808ac9d.jpg

If you like strawberry chocolate, you've got to try this. Let it chill for a couple hours in the freezer. If hard frozen, thaw for a little while before serving.

Thanks for looking!

Dang Guerry, you are one of a kind! (and I mean that in a good way) :grin:
Just love everything about this dessert. Nice job!!

There are probably substitutes in the dairy aisle, but the pasteurized eggs are safe enough for me. :thumb:

My 5 year old son has a severe egg allergy. My wife loves baking and making deserts but struggles with the egg thing.

Back