THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigTSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Are there any styles of stick burners that don't require a lot of attention while cooking? I'm interested in learning how to cook on a stick burner but conserned that I will have to add wood every 45mins throughout the entire cook.

I'm new in the stick burning world but I love it. A stick every 30-45 mins is the easiest part.:mrgreen: That's beer and fun time. Setting it up and warming the stick burner along with reaching you desired temp/clean smoke is the hard part. Well, I don't consider the beginning hard but that's when you do most of the work and a stick or two every 45 mins is the when it's warm and on auto pilot mode.

If you don't want to tend a fire, a stickburner is definitely not the way to go. But - tending a fire is my idea of a good time, so when I have time, I run one. When I'm too busy, it's time for the UDS, WSM, etc. There's no getting around tending a fire in a stickburner that I'm aware of.

I've never used one but from what I'm reading, there's money to be made in a stick-fetching, fire-feeding robot... We could call it the iStoker, or something like that.

I say this even though I currently don't own a stickburner, but I used to and I will again. Tending a fire is therapy. Enjoying the outdoors at many different hours of the day, perfecting a clean fire, sipping a few adult beverages, making good food, spending time with family and friends, the list goes on and on. It will take a commitment and stoking the fire every 45 minutes or so, but that is the best and cheapest form of mental therapy that I know of.

_DSC2988_zps295fbe49.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you want the reward without the reap. You will have to do a little work running a stick burner but the food tastes better because of it.

I love my stick burner. Its definitly not a set it and forget it kind of cooker. But the food that comes off of it is amazing. For me there is a certain amount of pride that goes in to it. Anybody can punch in a number on a computer and come back in 4 hours. It takes work and practice to get to know your smoker. If you do decide to get one get the thickest metal you can afford. 1/4" for the main chamber. The thinner the metal the faster it will cool off.
When I cook butts on my Shirley I can bump the temp up to 300 and it takes it 3-3.5 hours to fall to 220.

Just figure out what you want in a cooker. I would recommend a stick burner. Its work, but well worth it

Are there any styles of stick burners that don't require a lot of attention while cooking? I'm interested in learning how to cook on a stick burner but conserned that I will have to add wood every 45mins throughout the entire cook.

Pretty much gotta feed them every 45 minutes to 2 hours on average. At times I can get a 3-4 hour burn but not a lot and have good smoke.

I've never used one but from what I'm reading, there's money to be made in a stick-fetching, fire-feeding robot... We could call it the iStoker, or something like that.

They already make it. It's called a pellet smoker. Except the sticks are very small. :becky:

If you cook hot and fast in the stick burner you can cook in the daylight and only have to add wood a few times. It is a little work and not for everyone.

I say this even though I currently don't own a stickburner, but I used to and I will again. Tending a fire is therapy. Enjoying the outdoors at many different hours of the day, perfecting a clean fire, sipping a few adult beverages, making good food, spending time with family and friends, the list goes on and on. It will take a commitment and stoking the fire every 45 minutes or so, but that is the best and cheapest form of mental therapy that I know of.

_DSC2988_zps295fbe49.jpg

enough said!
WOW

I hate to say this, but you either like to tend a fire or you don't.

I think stickburners are for the little pyro inside a few of us. I REALLY miss my stickburner, but it had to be sold until we get into a larger yarded place complete with a garage. I have a WSM which is smaller and pretty much set and forget. Annnnnnnnnd guess what??? I STILL find myself wondering around fighting the urge to go check the fire. It's in me to tend a fire. I love it. If you don't love it, you'll wind up with a pit purchase that you dread taking advantage of fairly soon.

Back