THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CenTex Steve

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi all. Belton, Texas checking in (An hour north of Austin)

My BBQ Background:
Made the switch to charcoal about 4 years ago. My wife bought me one of those gigantic combo grills from Sams that has a firebox, grill, gas grill, and sear burner. It was great until I found the joys of the firebox. I never used the gas side.....The sear burner sure does start a charcoal chimney pretty well though!

The problem (or maybe the joy) was that my firebox leaked and was the most inefficient tool on the planet. I made several modifications with hi-temp sealant and "green-egg felt". Did enough food that for the last year, I've been getting it right. Lots of briskets. Turkey breast, pork loins, pork butts.

The thin metal got to me and the rust started to get to me. The last time I smoked, I burned through so much fuel, the amount of ashes (I think) caused my temp to drop way down. I decided enough was enough.

Since I already have an expensive hobby (photography), my BBQ budget is very limited. So, I lurked here for awhile. It seems everybody has a $300 grill/smoker. Home Depots, Char-Griller Competition Pro looked good. Lowes Oklahoma Joe showed signs of issues. Academy had a Wrangler II that I would have brought home if I had my truck. Thick metal, firebox was welded on tight, heat guard. I'm sure there were some issues, but fixing the issues is some of the fun if they're fixable.

Then I came here and slept on it. One new option called to me. The Pit Barrel Cooker. It'll be here tomorrow. I can't wait. As much as I want to make my own, figured I'd take it for a spin for a summer until I'm convinced.

A couple of potential gripes that I haven't had a chance to experience yet:
1) If I'm doing a "short cook" (like for chicken or a 1-2 hour meat), do you absolutely HAVE to waste an entire bag of charcoal for it? Is there a way to crank it back so that you only have 3 hours of fuel? How successful is holding the temperature if you do that? It doesn't sound like a problem, but I haven't found that discussion yet. Sounds like I'll be burning through a lot of Kingsford for no reason to start. For a brisket (which is my meat of choice) I think it'll be just fine.

2) The higher temps it cooks at is concerning. From a "low and slow" guy. I throw a ton of wood on my inefficient fire. Going to be hard to pull back and trust a cooker I think.

Part of the fun was overcoming the obstacles and fighting the temps. I'm hoping not have to worry about things makes it just as fun.

Welcome aboard Steve! Paul (pjtexas1) is also in Belton and is a great guy and an active member.

Lots of folks here that can answer most any question so suggest you repost those questions in Q-Talk (most active area).

We've had Brethren Bashes at Belton Lake in the Fall the last two years and there's one in progress now (check out link in my signature).

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome aboard Steve, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum, Steve. You will find answers to those, and many more, questions here. As frognot stated, you have brethren near you and everyone here is as helpful as can be. Here, learning is fun.

Back