THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
I am finally getting back to smoking after moving from St Louis to Pennsylvania. My in-laws came to visit and the like fish so I smoked some trout. My wife and I like the Steelhead trout from Sam's. It is farmed raised from Chili, but it is very tasty. I have played a lot with different ways to cook it but have come back to just very simple preparation. I salt it the night before with kosher salt, not to heavy, and turbinado sugar. I let is sit in the fridge uncovered over night. The next day I got the smoker to 160 and put on cherry wood. I put more turbinado on the fish and let it go until the fish got to 140. My down east beast slowly will climb up and after two hours was about 190. The fish was great, flaky and you could taste the trout with the sweet and the smoke. We eat it hot the day of and cold the next couple of days. I like to make a sandwich with it when it is cold.

If you have a Sam's close by it is worth a try and not to expensive.

Last edited:
That looks fantastic! I could see scrambling some of that with eggs, a little green onion, and yeah...

I could also see standing at the counter and eating all of it on the spot. :hungry:

I was supposed to be cooking salmon along with some brisket and ribs, and realized when I got home that I had picked up about 4 packs of Steelhead Trout along with the 6 or 7 packs of salmon. In the store they were right next to each other and I was grabbing all the $17-$18 Steelhead, (which I thought was salmon) and then scooped up the $22-$25 salmon. Needless to say I cooked it just like salmon.... and the salmon eaters inhaled all of it. I don't know if they knew the difference or just didn't care. No one mentioned it, so I guess it didn't really matter cuz they ate it. :clap2:

PS. For the record, I think it taste like salmon.

Last edited:
Back