Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib)

OSD

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Jim
We like to cook Standing Rib Roasts this way, then cut the left overs into steak portions and use the bones for dinners later. We vac-pac and freeze them for later searing and eating.

Had the butcher cut me a standing rib roast (4 bone-10.05 lbs) from the small end of a whole prime rib.
Last night I cut the bones off( I do this myself, I leave more meat on the bones than the butchers do) then seasoned with course sea salt, cracked black pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion. Then tied then bones back on and let it sit in the fridge uncovered over night. Took it out of the fridge this morning and warm up on the counter for about 1/2 hour while the UDS was warming up.
Ready to go into the drum
srr_001%20Custom.jpg

I used RO lump and pecan wood in the drum. I keep the drum temp low, around around 200° for this. I like to cook it slow. When it reaches 115° internal(around 6 hrs), I take it out of the drum and tent it loosely with foil, then let it rest for about an hour on the counter.
Coming out of the drum and ready to rest
ssr_002%20Custom.jpg

While the SRR is resting, I heat up the Keg with RO lump and pecan wood.
ssr_003%20Custom.jpg

When it gets to 550° I sear the roast to form a nice crust on the outside(takes about 10 minutes).
ssr_004%20Custom.jpg

Then I let it rest again for about 15 minutes. Untie the bones and slice off the ends.
ssr_005%20Custom.jpg

ssr_006%20Custom.jpg

ssr_008%20Custom.jpg

Then put the end slices back on the Keg(now heated to 650°)and sear the inside half of the slice.
ssr_009%20Custom.jpg

End slice served with some scalloped taters.
ssr_0010%20Custom.jpg

The rest of the prime rib will be rarer than the end slices and make great steak cuts to be seared for dinners later.
ssr_007%20Custom.jpg

The meaty bones will be reheated with some of the AuJus that I will freeze also(these are great with buttered pasta noodles).

Thanks for lookin'.

Looks good to me. Please slice off a hunk and slap it on a plate - looks perfectly done to me!

Yeah, that don't need no more cookin. It's fine just like it is...

Nice looking cut of prime rib, most I've bought lately are really fatty but yours looks awesome!

Thanks for sharing the pictures but I agree with LMAJ, big slice on my plate would be best!

Jim, that looks wonderful! Cooked to perfection. Well done Sir!

those look great.

I've never heard of eating the bones though? forgive me for asking, but you said you save the bones for later dinners?

Wow, that looks amazing. I have never even thought of smoking prime rib, and have never bought one. What does a piece of meat like that run if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks everyone. They are so good eating. I wish I could afford to cook them more often.

those look great.

I've never heard of eating the bones though? forgive me for asking, but you said you save the bones for later dinners?

When the bones are trimmed off. You basically have a mini rack of beef ribs and by trimming them myself they have a good layer of meat on them not shiners like the butcher will cut.

Wow, that looks amazing. I have never even thought of smoking prime rib, and have never bought one. What does a piece of meat like that run if you dont mind me asking.

Well, if you think brisket prices are high ????
Then don't even look at a 10 pound hunk of choice CAB prime rib.

Back