St. Louis Style Pork Steaks and Pork Chops... (Brethren Gift)

After reading about the sauce, sounded like what I have been looking for. Ordered up three bottles from St. Louis BBQ Store. Can't wait to try it out - thanks!

If you don't like a sticky sweet sauce, you'll love it.

I used it on chicken and the sauce from the bottle was just a tad too-thin. I put a little in a small pan and put on the indirect side of the grill. The gentle heat slightly thickened the sauce to a perfect consistency for my chicken.

Keep us posted on whether you like it or dislike it.

I will have to say that I agree with those who posted above. While the butcher only had two pork steaks and I didn't want to wait for him to cut more, I supplemented the cook with pork chops.

While the pork chops were good, the pork steaks were much more juicy and flavorful. While it was not a mistake per say, I really should have waited for him to cut more pork steaks. My mistake, but it was still an enjoyable mistake just the same.

That will be a repeat cook in the near future, however my next use of Maull's will be on some grilled chicken. One thing I did notice about the Maull's BBQ Sauce is that the taste seemed to changs as it thickens into a glaze or thicker sauce on the grill, almost as if the tomatoes caramelized and made it a tad bit sweeter. It is still far from being a sweet sauce..

Thanks for the input everybody.

After reading about the sauce, sounded like what I have been looking for. Ordered up three bottles from St. Louis BBQ Store. Can't wait to try it out - thanks!

Thanks for the order westsidehomebbq. Sure appreciate it. Living in STL all my life this sauce is indeed a mainstay and I am sure you will enjoy it. Pork Steaks are the real deal !

Nice write up IamMadMan.

Here is a interesting stat from Maull's website

We like to think that Maull’s great taste has contributed to making St. Louis the Barbecue Capital of the world. St. Louis’ claim to that title may surprise a lot of people who think that Memphis, New Orleans or Kansas City is the Barbecue Capital. But while those cities may have very well-known barbecue restaurants, the people in those cities don’t use nearly as much barbecue sauce on a per capita basis as St. Louisians. According to the Nielsen company, which measures consumer sales through food stores , St. Louisians use 2-1/2 times more barbecue sauce than the national average — much more than any other city.

Here is a interesting stat from Maull's website

We like to think that Maull’s great taste has contributed to making St. Louis the Barbecue Capital of the world. St. Louis’ claim to that title may surprise a lot of people who think that Memphis, New Orleans or Kansas City is the Barbecue Capital. But while those cities may have very well-known barbecue restaurants, the people in those cities don’t use nearly as much barbecue sauce on a per capita basis as St. Louisians. According to the Nielsen company, which measures consumer sales through food stores , St. Louisians use 2-1/2 times more barbecue sauce than the national average — much more than any other city.

Now that surprises me a little bit. You think it's because other locations are more dry rub style? Granted I do use a lot of sauce....

I was noticing at the store last week how large the selection of sauce is and how many varieties we have to choose from...even many local brands. I'll have to take a picture next time I'm there.

I
I used it on chicken and the sauce from the bottle was just a tad too-thin. I put a little in a small pan and put on the indirect side of the grill. The gentle heat slightly thickened the sauce to a perfect consistency for my chicken.

I just reordered and added a couple bottles of the onion bits in the mix. If I don't like it, I can always fix it up and use it as the base for another sauce.

I also just found out they make a Thicker Sauce as well. They call them "Black Label" and "Red Label" varieties. The main difference is that they are sweetened with date sugar rather than corn syrup. The "Black Label" is a thicker sauce, the "Red Label" is listed as a thicker, spicier sauce. https://maulls.com/product-category/date-syrup-sauces/

Something new to try....

Wish I could do some shopping there.....

Awesome deal..... I just checked on-line, 6 bottles delivered for $23.96, that's not a bad deal considering it includes the shipping.

So 6 bottles here is $9 + tax. Wonder how big of a flat rate box I'd need to ship them?

So 6 bottles here is $9 + tax. Wonder how big of a flat rate box I'd need to ship them?

In most states usually food items do not have sales tax..... But still even with sales tax it's an awesome deal.

Medium Flat Rate is $13.45 (Aprox 5 or 6 Bottles) 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"
Large Flat Rate is $18.75 (Aprox 10 - 12 Bottles) 12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

Back