St. Louis Style Pork Butt Steaks Tutorial

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Parental Assigned Label
Been a few discussions about St Louis style pork steaks lately. When I was at the store last night I checked the managers special section and saw these...I said..it's time for a tutorial.

Here is Patio Dadio"s take.

The high level summary is to get a pork butt, sliced into 1-1.5 inch thick steaks. Season, grill direct for color, pan with a thinned BBQ sauce and cover, braise until fork tender. Some may grill again at the end for a little carmelization.

Traditionally the BBQ sauce is Maull's and it's thinned with beer. I had great luck a few weeks ago with a SBR, Blues Hog Championship blend and Root Beer sauce for some chuck..so I did that again.

Here we go.

Pork Butt

wANsSpBg.jpg

Layed out..see the thickness

I7pD7n7g.jpg

Seasoned with Blues Hog.

9FZqLWwg.jpg

On the Weber, set up for indirect. Grill until you get the color you want.

iFsRyBpg.jpg

7UsuAobg.jpg

Panned. Tried to use 2 but realized they wouldn't fit on the Weber without being right over the hot zone, so I consolidated.

Ac0RP4dg.jpg

3xZnfEHg.jpg

vzqnjU8g.jpg

After about 90 minutes running at 375 they were fork tender. I tried to pull them out and give them a quick sear again, but they kept falling apart so I gave up.

Plated with some Asian slaw.

i8NKiuXg.jpg

Bites. So tender.

FwJoGSAg.jpg

zVM27HQg.jpg

All gone.

P1pRklAg.jpg

Much better looking than the sliced pork butt I had during three years in St. Louis! My neighbors method was to throw the pork steaks in a crock pot with a vat of BBQ sauce for a couple of hours and serve with sliced white sandwich bread.

You got great color on your sear, and it looks quite tasty!

Much better looking than the sliced pork butt I had during three years in St. Louis! My neighbors method was to throw the pork steaks in a crock pot with a vat of BBQ sauce for a couple of hours and serve with sliced white sandwich bread.

You got great color on your sear, and it looks quite tasty!

Apparently my step dad was your neighbor.....

I made these tonight, they were great! I've never cooked this cut before, but we really enjoyed the flavor. I was afraid I had overcooked them, but they just pulled apart with only a fork, and I think we enjoyed them more than pork chops.

What do you normally thin your sauce with?

I made these tonight, they were great! I've never cooked this cut before, but we really enjoyed the flavor. I was afraid I had overcooked them, but they just pulled apart with only a fork, and I think we enjoyed them more than pork chops.

What do you normally thin your sauce with?

Traditionally it’s beer. I’ve used apple juice and also used root beer or cola.

Glad you liked them!!

Back