THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Haven't thrown down in awhile and a butt TD sounds fun, so here we go...

I like burnt ends just never tried with pork butt even though sounded good. Got a half-butt, approx 3.5#, decided to cook whole before cubing. Seasoned with Oakridge SPOGOS and Plowboys Yardbird.

5rnzQUJl.jpg

mkznZT3l.jpg

Fired up the kettle and ran at about 250. Got some good color, taking it all the way to 170. Took about 4-5 hours and got me the bark I wanted but still plenty firm to cube up.

5Aqwcmcl.jpg

Cubed up and seasoned with a bit more yardbird.

QMvCHDbl.jpg

Wrapped in foil with just a small amount of apple juice, let her go for about 90 minutes braising in some goodness.

7lqtb9Fl.jpg

Went until they were pretty squishy (IT was close to 200), added some Sweet Baby Ray's and put it back on for about 20 minutes. Plated with some pickled jalapeños, carrots, onions and garlic, had a cold beer and enjoyed myself.

y3fi3QMh.jpg

gBhEfVVh.jpg

These bites were really fantastic. Soft and smoky and savory. Didn't have the all-around bark I would have had if I'd cubed first, but I really didn't want to smoke it like that, so give and take on that score.

I'm not sure why these aren't more popular--I think they easily rival my typical preparations with pork butt and I'll be doing this a lot more in the future. In any case, give it a try if you haven't already! Cheers

aaaaaaand, tomorrow I'm putting a shoulder or two in the fridge to thaw out.

I actually tried it once, and it didn't work so well. I think I cubed/wrapped around 160, so they ended up just soaking. The end result didn't look anywhere near as good as yours! You've 100% inspired me to try it again.

I've been thinking about doing pork burnt ends for a while now, and that's exactly what's going to happen with the next pork butt we buy!

Well done in every respect!

Brother, what a great idea. I'm going to have to try that. For us, pulled pork is kinda take it or leave it. I've never done burnt ends of any kind (can't afford brisket here, but picnic is relatively cheap on sale), but I think the Missus just might go for that. Thanks for posting!

Man can't stop looking at the pics!

Curious why you didn't want to cube them up before cooking?

Yeah, that's a great question! (thought about addressing it in the OP but didn't want to bore you guys in the weeds)

I just hadn't ever done 'em before so going blind. It's just that I was concerned that the small cubes might be tender prior to getting the bark I wanted. Not sure if that was a correct assumption or not, but I figured I'd rather have great bark on a portion of each bite than have mediocre bark all over.

I hope someone tries it the other way and tests it! Thanks!

Back