THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't cook (not yet), but I am an FBA judge and make a lot of the comps. This year I attended 11 events with an average of 197 miles one-way and an average travel time of 3 hours 38 minutes one-way.

I expect about the same next year. Of course I pay all my expenses myself and there is no chance of winning any payoff but I sure do enjoy it.

Ray

March Madness 30 minutes
Palm Desert 2 hours
Wishland 1 hour
Stagecoach 2 hours
Hesperia 1.5 hours
Viejas 2 hours

Avg. 1.3 hours

It's big country out your way. Things are a little tighter out East. Lately we have been trying to stay under 5 hours. North to Jersey. South to Danville. And we're fortunate to have several in Maryland and Virginia. The Royal and Jack kinda increase our average in a big way. But except for those two, we can manage to stay purty close to home.
Cheers!
Chris

OK, so all you guys got me interested and I had to figure it out. These are all by memory, but basically they are spot on for time. Don't know the exact mileage, but I have that at home...

- 20 hours Felda, FL
- 14 hours Hammond, LA
- 11 hours Pine Bluff, AR
- 6 hours Austin, MN
- 5 minutes Westmont, IL
- 5 hours Des Moines, IA
- 30 minutes Elk Grove Village, IL
- 3 hour plane ride - .75 hour drive Salt Lake City, UT
- 16 hours Lake Placid, NY
- 2.25 hours Shannon, IL
- 4.75 hours Kettering, OH
- 3.5 hours Grand Rapids, MI
- 3.5 hours Princeton, WI
- 1.5 hours Milwaukee, WI
- 3.0 hours Dubuque, IA
- 10 hours Vermillion, SD
- 4 hours Silver Lake, MI
- 1.75 hours Menomonee Falls, WI
- 1.5 hours Racine, WI
- 7.5 hours Gallatin, TN
- 3 hours Arthur, IL
- .75 hours Libertyville, IL
- 3.5 hour plane ride – 2.5 hour drive Buckeye, AZ

Total flight time = 6.5 hours

Total drive time = 122.85 hours

14 different states

Average Drive Time = 5.34 hours

WOW Scottie. I envy the hell out of that schedule. If I had the $ I would do the same.

Gas is at $1.69 today in my town. Back when you were driving to all of those comps I bet average around $3.75. Weird times.

I don't cook (not yet), but I am an FBA judge and make a lot of the comps. This year I attended 11 events with an average of 197 miles one-way and an average travel time of 3 hours 38 minutes one-way.

I expect about the same next year. Of course I pay all my expenses myself and there is no chance of winning any payoff but I sure do enjoy it.

Ray

Remind me to give you two beers instead of one the next time I see you. :mrgreen:

OK, so all you guys got me interested and I had to figure it out. These are all by memory, but basically they are spot on for time. Don't know the exact mileage, but I have that at home...

- 20 hours Felda, FL
- 14 hours Hammond, LA
- 11 hours Pine Bluff, AR
- 6 hours Austin, MN
- 5 minutes Westmont, IL
- 5 hours Des Moines, IA
- 30 minutes Elk Grove Village, IL
- 3 hour plane ride - .75 hour drive Salt Lake City, UT
- 16 hours Lake Placid, NY
- 2.25 hours Shannon, IL
- 4.75 hours Kettering, OH
- 3.5 hours Grand Rapids, MI
- 3.5 hours Princeton, WI
- 1.5 hours Milwaukee, WI
- 3.0 hours Dubuque, IA
- 10 hours Vermillion, SD
- 4 hours Silver Lake, MI
- 1.75 hours Menomonee Falls, WI
- 1.5 hours Racine, WI
- 7.5 hours Gallatin, TN
- 3 hours Arthur, IL
- .75 hours Libertyville, IL
- 3.5 hour plane ride – 2.5 hour drive Buckeye, AZ

Total flight time = 6.5 hours

Total drive time = 122.85 hours

14 different states

Average Drive Time = 5.34 hours

Somehow I have this image of you on a CB all of a sudden:cool:

Nope just an iPod on shuffle. I've tried doing the blackberry while driving... But my eyes are going and it's hard to get that focus back. So I try not to surf the internet while driving... :shock:

While I hate long drives, it is very peaceful. Especially if the girls aren't fighting and I don't have to be the referee from up front...

You got me thinking..23 contest in one year! If I took off just half a day of work for each, I would still be 1 1/2 days in the hole at my job and have no vacation days. Would be nice to have a job that allowed me to compete that much!

Man I gotta laugh... My 1st contest was May of 2003, I have done a total of 18 since...Wonder if my competition BBQ would get any better if I could compete 23 times in one year?

Edit Mod:

Not sure how to word this. Obviously the learning curve is faster the more contest you can compete in the year, may I ask if you used primarily the same rub and sauce on all contests?

Last edited:
Not sure how to word this. Obviously the learning curve is faster the more contest you can compete in the year, may I ask if you used primarily the same rub and sauce on all contests?

I use Smokin Guns, Blues Hog, Fab, BBQr's Delight Pellets, FEC-100's. I also get some extra sauces and rubs from hawgeyesbbq.com. Besides tweaking my chicken, I use the same stuff from one contest to the next. I'm boring, do the same thing from week to week. Except when messing with chicken. But I've been doing the same on that since July.

I've been at my job for 22 years and get a lot of vacation.

Consistency wins. I get that with all my products that I use.

Scottie

I was a child prodigy. I skipped a few grades... Yeah, that's the ticket...

Best to Tina.

Scottie

ps consistency can come from cooking at home too. As I have done a lot of that over the years.

Back