Spicy Throwdown? Hmmm...

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
Should be right up my alley. I've been growing and processing hot peppers far longer than I been into BBQ...

Had several pounds of Hatch peppers (grown in my own garden. I know I can't call em Hatch if they be grown in Kansas) I call em Hatch from scratch...

Roasted em up and then peeled and vac and seal and freeze.

A couple pounds of jalapenos.

Which got the same treatment.

But enough FLUFF! This is just same old same old.

I decided to roast some Serrano peppers. The ones I grow are bigger, meatier, and HOTTER than any that you'll find in the store.

Skinned em.

And into a bottle filled with vinegar.

This is the kinda thing you'll find in most any eatery in the south. Only the roasting should add an awesome flavor that doesn't come from just any hot vinegar. One week into the process I haven't tried it yet. But the first two days all I could smell was vinegar. Now it smells smoky and HOT!.

I'm anxious to try it out.

And as always...Thanks for looking...

Last edited:
This looks fantastic. Curious how long you'll leave it to mix and mingle before shaking some out on some 'cue.

Looks good from here. Did ya boil the Vine-Gar? I've made something similar a few years back, but with a Jamaican twist.

No. Thought about it but...I never have. After a week the smell is spot on so I didn't screw up. I guess.

A bottle of pepper sauce was always on the table when I was growing up. I wasn't into it then, but now, yessiree! That is probably going to be amazing! Very cool.

Interesting read. How many different varieties do you grow and total number overall. Due to lack of space, I tend to overcrowd my garden and thus the peppers are hampered from the close quarters. I usually plant about 20 total with jalapeno, Big Jim and Italian in the mix.

For the vinegar, just white I assume?

Thanks,

Robert

Should be right up my alley. I've been growing and processing hot peppers far longer than I been into BBQ...

Had several pounds of Hatch peppers (grown in my own garden. I know I can't call em Hatch if they be grown in Kansas) I call em Hatch from scratch...

Roasted em up and then peeled and vac and seal and freeze.

A couple pounds of jalapenos.

Which got the same treatment.

But enough FLUFF! This is just same old same old.

I decided to roast some Serrano peppers. The ones I grow are bigger, meatier, and HOTTER than any that you'll find in the store.

Skinned em.

And into a bottle filled with vinegar.

This is the kinda thing you'll find in most any eatery in the south. Only the roasting should add an awesome flavor that doesn't come from just any hot vinegar. One week into the process I haven't tried it yet. But the first two days all I could smell was vinegar. Now it smells smoky and HOT!.

I'm anxious to try it out.

And as always...Thanks for looking...

The size of those Jalapeno, awesome
happy days coming up
cant get mine to grow except in the hothouse

Interesting read. How many different varieties do you grow and total number overall. Due to lack of space, I tend to overcrowd my garden and thus the peppers are hampered from the close quarters. I usually plant about 20 total with jalapeno, Big Jim and Italian in the mix.

For the vinegar, just white I assume?

Thanks,

Robert

I probably had ~20 plants this year. Turned out to be a tough year for peppers (weather wise)A mix of Hot Hatch, Big Jim for the medium hot chiles, Devil Serrano, Of course some jalapeno. And sweet peppers for the Mrs. Also grew some yellow jalapenos in a big tub near the house. They don't get very big but damn they are hot. Usually have Red Savino Habaneros but not this year to grow more of the green chiles.

Yes to the white vinegar. Looking for the pepper flavor to come through.

Yellow jalapenos

Back