THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Noobs! If you haven't done so already, be sure to look at the Photography Tips and Tricks thread in the Throwdown forum. A lot of good information is shared in there.

Since the voters can't taste your food, presentation is important.

CD

Thanks!...lots of great info in that thread

This is my entry into the Noob Throwdown. First brisket ever and I finally got the approval from wifey to continue this new obsession of mine due to her thoroughly enjoying her dinner. Thanks to the advice from everyone while I was fumbling my way through it, and thanks for the awesome tutorial on brisket Bigabyte.

For your viewing pleasure I've prepared brisket with burnt ends, macaroni and cheese, and bacon wrapped asparagus.

NoobTD.jpg

All right everything is looking really good but I am about to talk a little smack. I will post my throw down pictures tomorrow when I get to a computer. I can't post my pics from my phone. The web site won't let me, but I am bringing the hammer. My entry doesn't just look good but fark me it Was AWESOME. stay tooned.

Please accept this as my entry.

I was actually planning on doing a boston butt this weekend, so the fact that it qualified for not one, but TWO TD's, just made it seem like fate. Unfortunately, I got called into work early and couldn't take the time to properly photograph and plate everything, so I don't expect much to come from my first two TD entries (I'll be using this same dish for both the Noob TD and the Sandwich TD). In fact, my wife took the pics because I had to head out in a hurry. It's a shame, as my veggie really turned out to be the star of the show today. I also forgot to take action shots (I'm still getting used to posting pr0n, and don't always think it through). That being said, my cook went as follows:

7.5 lb butt. I fired up the WSM at about 6:30 this morning. I knew I was going to be under a time crunch due to work, so I cooked a bit hotter than I usually do (ran between 275-300; I usually run closer to 250), with the idea of pulling it off at about 4 pm. I rubbed with Three Little Pigs' Touch of Cherry, and used the Chris Lilly injection (minus half the salt). I used KB with cherry and pecan chunks. Everything was ready and my temps were dialed in by 7:30, so I tossed the butt on at that time. Went to church, came back and made some "semi homemade" coleslaw. I then took a buttercup squash, halved it and seeded it, dusted it with Yardbird just to try something different, then filled the cavities with dark brown sugar. I threw this on at about 1:30. Pulled the butt at 4:00 as planned; it wasn't quite probe tender, so I foiled it while it rested. At 5:00, I pulled the pork, sauced with Three Little Pigs' KC All Purpose, and plated it. Just used regular store-bought buns, as that's what we had. Unfortunately, the squash took longer than expected, so I wasn't able to plate it for the picture. Pics below are with and without coleslaw.

All in all, this was not my best cook, but it turned out OK. I love the cherry rub on spares, but wasn't crazy about it on the butt. I think I'll stick with my homemade rub from now on. I will say, the squash was incredible; the Yardbird really worked out well. I wish I had pics of THAT! Thanks for looking!

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

No problem.

Bill... Please make sure she is wearing the pirate hat for all pics! :mrgreen:

Alas, no pirate hat entry.

My dear little Frances decided to turn the kitchen into chocolate cake central, so I completed the BBQ . However, I was p1ssed and burnt it, so I should be able to enter it anyway??? Like I never enter a TD when I'm p!ssed...:wacko:

Subzerogriller, those are nice looking sandwiches, mmmmmm. I like that you included the thinking behind the compromise between cooking and working -- shows there's versatility in BBQ when needed and attempted. Interesting about the rubs, too, I've also found I like some seasonings on pork shoulder and not ribs, and vice versa. Interesting to hear someone else's story on this.

darkdrako -- the bacon on this fatty looks really nice and crisp and the idea is a good one, I like it for feeding people the morning after the party. Just toast buns, make pots of coffe and tea and they are all taken care of. :thumb:

Thanks Kathy. That fatty came off of the grill around 10:30pm last night and did not make it to morning! :hungry:

What about for someone that broke his face and has been down and out for 2 months thus becoming a born again virgin (in cooking, eating, and other things). I'm not a virgin, but it's been so long it's like I am again ...

What about for someone that broke his face and has been down and out for 2 months thus becoming a born again virgin (in cooking, eating, and other things). I'm not a virgin, but it's been so long it's like I am again ...

You've not only entered previously, you've won a Throwdown, so a handicap will be required.

CD

You must enter chops and applesauce. Nothing more.:becky:

Oh, and it should be a boneless chop.:becky:

OK, for a drink, something from a blender...with a straw.

You've not only entered previously, you've won a Throwdown, so a handicap will be required.

CD

Crap it all to hell ... sometimes I forget I actually HAVE won a TD ...

You must enter chops and applesauce. Nothing more.:becky:

Oh, and it should be a boneless chop.:becky:

OK, for a drink, something from a blender...with a straw.

NO ... GOD NO ... ANYTHING BUT APPLESAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I don't hear the words applesauce, ice cream, pudding, or blended up for a VERY long ... I'll be ok. :twitch:

I had to assemble the whole Hillbilly KonK BBQ. team for this throw down. Please accept this as my official entry in to this throw down. Enjoy the pRon.

My oldest preping taters
View attachment 68146

my youngest finishing the potatoes with oinions and green peppers time for the grill.
View attachment 68147

now time to season some rib eyes.
View attachment 68148

time to put them on
View attachment 68149

redy to season up some Mahi fish.
View attachment 68150

a few grilled onions
View attachment 68151

The final product. steak fish potatoes and salad.
View attachment 68152

good job Hillbilly KonK BBQ. :clap2:

Last edited:
I'm going to bump this. I'm guessing you were on leave and missed my request.

Oooh, I missed this exception in the first read. I may have entered 2 or 3 TDs plus the Ribs Master. I certainly thought I would have received more than a single vote for those ribs. I do all my cooking on a Weber kettle and still need a little work on fire control.

I can remember only the ground meat and Rib Master. I think my last entry may have been almost a year and a half ago. Please review my stats and consider me for a conditional entry.

Thanks, big!!

Oooo, Mr. Byte, pardon me for asking. I think I might have entered a throwdown a very long time ago, but I believe I was disqualified, or a squirrel farked up my entry. Can I try to enter this one? Please?

You may enter so long as you make a casserole with eggplant as the primary ingredient for the main dish. You must make exactly three sides using any combination of SPAM, Gefilte Fish, Vienna Sausages and canned Spotted Dick. You may make them seperately or mixed together as you see fit, but you must use all 4 ingredients within the set of 3 sides. For a drink you are allowed to use anything you like so long as it is in a can, and served in the can it came in.

Back