SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Memorial Day" Throwdown

I'm showing these because this is how Choice ribeyes used to look. Costco still carries them like this sometimes. There's been a lot of grade inflation. These could easily pass as prime at other stores. Actually, they look better than the prime I see at many stores around here. Simple cook, a bit of Lawry's, fresh black pepper and some parsley (of course). Indirect on the Oval at 500* for about 5 minutes per side:

I bought the same choice ribeyes at Costco, and grilled them at the beach for me and my friends. We grilled some really tender asparagus and some squash for sides. Those steaks were truly what a lot of stores sell as "prime." Outstanding.

No pr0n, so technically, it didn't happen, but We ate very well last night.

CD

The only real distinction is the enchilada sauce. These are essentially flat enchiladas (where the tortilla is not rolled). We didn't have any corn tortillas lying about, so we used chips instead. They can be nachos with enchilada sauce or flat enchiladas made with tortilla chips. Either way, they hit the spot. :thumb:

Would one call them nacho enchiladas, or enchilada nachos? :confused:

CD

I cooked chicken quarters....:becky:

1-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

Money Shot...

5-2.jpg

Last edited:
Memorial Day steaks

The wife wanted steaks for Memorial Day. For her and the kids that means filets, for me that means Ribeye!

IMG_0101.jpg

Nice & thick!

IMG_0103.jpg

Seasoned with some Santa Maria rub

IMG_0104.jpg

On the Weber

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Baked some potatoes

IMG_0107.jpg

And served with grilled salad:

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

plated/fork-shot:

IMG_0128.jpg

Not the best pictures. I really need a new camera. But great eats!

Al's Memorial Day tribute meal...

This is the first Memorial Day since my father passed away about two months ago... Since he was a decorated vet, I felt it was only fitting that I fire up the Weber and grill one of his favorite meals in tribute.

79580A_213335.JPG
79580B_213335.JPG

My dad absolutely loved a good New York strip, and he was always a sucker for a tasty salmon patty. A couple years ago, we turned him on to broccoli slaw, and he never could resist a hearty bread slathered in butter.

Consequently, here is the meal I prepared to honor my dad.

First off, I found a nice 12oz Kobe New York Strip:

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

I seasoned it up with The Rub Co Santa Maria and set is aside to sweat a bit. In the meantime, I took the tail fillet pieces from a couple Copper River sockeye and cut them into little chunks for the salmon patties:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

I mixed the chunks with the following ingredients, less the eggs and Panko:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

I put the patties in the freezer to set up for a bit, and then fired up the Weber with some hand hewn backyard red oak chunks for flavor:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

While the coals were getting up to temp and the oak started smoking, I dipped the sockeye patties in egg and dredged them into the Panko. When the coals were ready, I threw the fish and the strip on for some indirect heat:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

I let the strip go to about 125 and then moved it over the coals for a quick sear. I pulled the salmon off when it hit about 150. Here is the surf and turf meal in tribute to my dad:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

^^^^^ money shot...

He was a great man, a brilliant officer and the best dad a schizophrenic could ever ask for... :loco: He would have however kicked me in the arse for slightly over cooking the strip :tsk:, but I can tell you it was still so tender I could have cut it with a fork. :mrgreen:

Thanks to all the other Vets who have served our country! :clap:

Whew, great entries so far I still need to read all the cook threads. I just came back from 12 days of camping and boy am I TRD while I was camping the brethren wasn't far I could have done the 12 days of memorial day with all the farking cooking I did with brethren products food heavy but pron light :tsk: I even murdered a Tri Tip. The big cooking day was last Friday night where I did an 11 lb packer and 2, 8 lb butts.

Here they are chugging along.

sweetblue.jpg

At about 7:30 am Saturday I foiled them.

3meats.jpg

Once they were probe tender I rested the butts the brisky took a little longer but when it was ready I separated and cubed the the point for burnt ends and rested the flat. Ihad picked up some bacon from a local meat packer and was using it up all week then it hit me with less than 1 lb left :doh: that I needed to make pig candy. So I made the pig candy but there wasn't enough to go around so I remembered that Amused Bush stuff Knuclehed BBQ was talking about and cut them into 1" pieces and passed them around. :thumb: The second round of amused bushes was the pig candy then I pulled and sliced the brisky.

Here was my plate.

money2-3.jpg

money10.jpg

The pork butts were seasoned with Big Butz Pig Pollen, the sauce is Big Butz Carolina Magic, and the Brisket was rubbed with SM Season All and Peppered Cow, the burnt ends were seasoned again with Peppered Cow and glazed with Bart's Blazin' Q sauce. Thanks for looking.

There is something strange about Memorial Day for me. I live in an area where I have no relatives, except my mom. Every Memorial Day my family goes to a graveyard where there are none of my relatives buried, yet, there are a quite a few of my wife's relatives buried there. We always attend the services which make sure to pay tribute to the military but, I myself have never served. However, even though there is so many things stacked towards the side of disconnectedness, I can't help but start to get choked up during these ceremonies in this place. I don't know why it is but, when I think of all of those who served to protect the things that so many people take for granted, I feel humbled and thankful. I know I will never be able to truly show my appreciation to all those who have served and will served. All who have given some, and some who have given all. So I attempt to Honor one, in an effort to honor all. The closest person to me who has served is my father in law, and on this day I figured what better way to show thanks to cook up some ribs of my own that he loves to share with him and the ones he loves the most, his grandchildren.
We'll cut to the chase, I chopped up some ribs St. Louis style and prepared them as I normally would.
photobucket-9342-1338265982561.jpg

Then I used the ends and pieces to do some experimenting with rubs.
photobucket-9086-1338266119002.jpg

At this point, I would love to tell you how long and at what temps I cooked this whole lot at but, the truth is, I didn't even look at the temperature gauge today. I just went by instinct and what I could see that the meat was doing. I can tell you that the cook took just over 3 hours.
photobucket-13299-1338266045423.jpg

photobucket-11873-1338266011021.jpg

In the end everything got hit with some Cranberry BBQ Sauce (the in-laws favorite) I thought about taking pictures of the whole heaping cake pan filled with ribs but, everyone started diving in and when I saw one of my Father-in-laws favorite people, my daughter, enjoying the ribs. I knew that this image was worth more than any picture of just the meat would have been worth.
photobucket-13411-1338266070127.jpg

photobucket-17345-1338266091895.jpg

In the end, it was a great meal to share with family. Everyone was happy, enjoyed themselves, and ate to their hearts content. When I think about it, in the end, on Memorial Day, when you think about it. Those who have given their lives have all done it in the hopes of moments just like this one being shared with families all over this great country of ours. I hope you were able to share a moment like this with your family as well upon this day.

Memorial Day Weekend - Brisket on a Kettle

Thought I would try and squeeze this one in just before the deadline!:becky:

I wanted to try my hand at smoking in a Weber Kettle. I had never done this before, so I figured I better start with a brisket.

I set up my 22.5 inch Weber OTS for smoking with a full size aluminum pan to catch the drippings, with an area off to one side for the fuel.

r_IMG_1540.jpg

A quick note about this kettle. It is not a newer model by any means. I found it a couple years back for free on the curb, and the previous owner had not taken the greatest care of it...either that or it was really old.

It had wooden handles...sort of. They were rotted off mostly. A newer plastic handle had been put on the lid so that the lid could be used, but the side handles were mostly gone from rot. The blades in the One Touch system were bent upwards from all of the caked on gunk on the bottom. The previous owner never scraped that out and just let it build up, using the blades to "scrape" them out, which over time just bent them upwards and made the volume of the lower part of the kettle even less.

I continued operating it as-is for a year and a half, curious how far I could continue using it. Finally the blades in the One Touch system bent so far upwards that they couldn't really clean the system out any more because the buildup was so thick it just clogged up the holes entirely, leaving the ash with nowhere to go. Up until that point, I was able to cook on it just fine though. These kettles just plain work, even when not taken well care of.

I replaced the handles on the sides, and replaced the One Touch blades with a new set after giving the whole thing a good and thorough scraping and cleaning. After I was done, it looked pretty much like a whole new 22.5" OTS at that point, and I only invested about $30 into it and maybe 30 minutes of cleaning labor.

Since this restoration, I take a little extra time every couple uses or so to scrape out the bottom of the kettle while using the OTS to clean out any buildup. I simply use a cheapy plastic putty scraper. It bends to the shape of the bowl and easily pushes aside any buildup that the blades can't handle. Then it gets pushed down the hole along with the ash by using the One Touch system. Easy peasy, and it operates like new every time now because of this quick and simple maintenance.

So in a sense, I am using what amounts to a new Weber 22.5" OTS, though technically it is actually anything but. It might be important to stress this in case anyone esle tries doing something similar with a kettle in poor condition.

OK, enough of that...let's get back to the whole Throwdown Brisket thing...

I pulled a 13 pound USDA Choice angus packer from Sam's out of the fridge.

r_IMG_1541.jpg

I trimmed off the excess fat, leaving some fat cap on though in case I had temp control issues with the kettle.

r_IMG_1542.jpg

I seasoned it with layers of salt, a slightly modified Foil Hat Rub (made with smoked Spanish Paprika that Gore kindly sent to me), some Black Pepper and some Canadian Steak Seasoning.

r_IMG_1543.jpg

I let the brisket come up to room temp for 2 hours while the rub settled in. About an hour before I wanted to put the brisket on I fired up a dozen briqs of charcoal in my chimney.

r_IMG_1544.jpg

I arranged a mix of charcoal and Pecan chunks for fuel, stacking it up as high as it could fit under the grate.

r_IMG_1545.jpg

I spread the lit coals over the top of the unlit fuel to get the cooker started.

r_IMG_1549.jpg

The cooker seemed to settle in around 250 degrees so I put the brisket on. The total time from fridge to cooker was an hour and 45 minutes.

r_IMG_1554.jpg

For the first few hours, the temp spiked up to around 350, even as high as 360 for a bit. I got that settled down by closing the intake down as far as it could go without actually being closed, and by adding water to the drip pan.

It slowly started backing down in temp over the next few hours until the temp dropped rather quickly to 250 because it needed fuel. I took a pic of the brisket just before refueling.

r_IMG_1556.jpg

When I refueled, I shoveled all of the lit coals to one side, and filled in the other side with unlit fuel. This made the cooker settle on temps between 225 and 250 for the remainder of the cook.

Here's a shot of the brisket a little later on after the sun came up.

r_IMG_1558.jpg

And here it is when it was finally probe tender.

r_IMG_1559.jpg

I separated the point from the flat, and sliced both the flat and the point. I think I'll go with the sliced point pieces for the money shot (the last one).

r_IMG_1561.jpg

r_IMG_1562.jpg

r_IMG_1564.jpg

r_IMG_1565.jpg

Despite the temp control issues early on, this brisket turned out excellent with no charring at all. Even with the heat issues early on, the unit ran very steady. I just needed to figure out the proper way to start it.

Like a WSM, when using Kingsford briquettes, if the temp gets high, it is not easy to bring back down. You need to start it at the right temp, and then it will run solid.

The things I learned was to start with fewer lit briquettes, like maybe just 6 instead of a dozen. Also, those lit briquettes should be placed all on one side of the unlit fuel instead of spread over the top. It is also important to put water in the pan to act as a heat sink.

I think I may start using the kettle for smoking in the future as well. It was fun to do something different, and it definitely appears to be able to work as a dependable smoker. With a little experience, it might even be...dare I say...set and forget?:noidea:

Memorial Day Weekend - Ribs on a Kettle

Thought I would try and get one more in before this thing gets shut down!:becky:

I had so much fun making Brisket on a Weber Kettle, and getting to learn some of the intricacies of how the kettle wanted to run as a smoker, that I just HAD to do it again. This time I decided to do Spare Ribs!:hungry:

I started with 3 racks of Spares that I had trimmed up.

r_IMG_1566.jpg

I seasoned them with some of the special Foil Hat Rub made with the paprika Gore sent to me (this stuff is awesome).

r_IMG_1567.jpg

I let the ribs come up to temp and mingle with the rub.

I will be using a different 22.5" Weber Kettle today. This is a blue 22.5" Weber Platinum that I recently picked up off of Craigslist. The previous owner is a fellow brethren, Bob Denner of Boondoggle BBQ.

r_IMG_1568.jpg

This unit is in good working condition. The One Touch blades are in great shape, the bowl is clean, the lid has a tight seal. This has all the makings of being a great smoker.

About 45 minutes before I wanted to put the meat on, I set up the unit with a foil drip pan. I put water in the pan to work as a heat sink, a little lesson I learned from my brisket smoking attempt the day before. I also set up the charcoal and pecan chunks all the way to the grate except for on one side where I left some room for the lit coals to go. The other main lesson I learned from my brisket cook was to start the coals on one side. I also left the tiniest crack possible in the intakes, the most minimal opening I could see.

r_IMG_1570.jpg

I lit up 6 coals, and put them on 30 minutes before I wanted to get the meat started. From my previous session, it seemed the cooker could be up to temp reliably in just 30 minutes.

r_IMG_1571.jpg

Thirty minutes later the unit was running at 235, so I put the ribs on.

r_IMG_1573.jpg

The unit ran rock solid. The temp slowly and steadily climbed from 235 to 250 over the course of the next four hours. I never once had any need to crack the lid open or make any adjustments whatsoever.

Four hours later I took a peek to check on the ribs.

r_IMG_1582.jpg

They seemed nearly ready. They were bending well, had good pullback and a toothpick was sliding in and out fairly easily between the bones.

I hit them with some Big Butz Original BBQ Sauce and put them back on for 30 minutes to let the sauce set.

r_IMG_1583.jpg

After that, they were good to go.

r_IMG_1584.jpg

r_IMG_1585.jpg

r_IMG_1586.jpg

Honestly, this experience was so good, I am convinced that with a well maintained kettle, you can have a set and forget smoker. Of course, I have only made two attempts so far, but both were successful.

I will probably be trying this at least a few more times!:becky:

Turkey on the gallows (smoke ez)

injected with cajun butter and rubbed with 3 beer rub

turkey9.jpg

then rubbed withe dukes mayonnaise and more 3 beer rub
turkey10.jpg

we hang her in the smoke ez
turkey11.jpg

turkey12.jpg

then 250 seven hours
ezturkey6.jpg

ezturkey2.jpg

ezturkey7.jpg

NewImageturkey7a.jpg

ezturkey8.jpg

ezturkey3.jpg

it turned out very juicyand the smoke from the tobasco wood chips was amazing
ezturkey4.jpg

ezturkey5.png

don't know if I will be fry a turkey ever again

Wow, fantastic entries by all.

I am so tired after the weekend and I have no idea what I am going to submit for an entry. Over the last two days I cooked 2 briskets, a butt, a spatchcocked chicken, 16 thighs, 5lbs of Italian Beef, 3 racks of ribs, 3 fatties, some wings, 30 balls-o-MoInK, 5 catfish, 30+ ABTs, and a fantastic tri-tip. If only I had pics...

Oh yeah, there was some SPAM in there too.

Alright, I am still tired from the last two days. I cooked more food than ever before and my two drums performed like champs. I was cooking for a get together on Monday over at a buddy's house and he always wants to cook way too much since he lives in a cul-de-sac and the neighbors always stop by for food. Learning my lesson from previous cooks over there I decided to get started the day before.

I started off by cooking 2 prime briskets and a butt on Sunday.

IMG_1002.jpg

While they chugged along on the UDS I made up a batch of Dr. BBQ's Italian Beef (no pics) which is always fantastic.

IMG_1003.jpg

I wanted to try a full on butcher paper cook with the briskets but it was hot and they were cooking just fine on their own so I only rested them in BP to help preserve the bark.

Briskets before wrapping.

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

Brisket #1

IMG_1009.jpg

Brisket #2

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

The points were cubed up and bagged to make burnt ends on Monday.

IMG_1010.jpg

And the butt:

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

Commence Memorial Day cooking

I trailered all my stuff over to my buddy's house and got setup Monday morning.

IMG_20120528_154222.jpg

I fired up my secondary UDS and started the day with a naked fatty, some SPAM, a naked venison fatty and a fatty FAIL! I tried to do a stuffed breakfast fatty but it just kept falling apart. Since I was busy and needed to get other stuff going I just made it into a ball and put it on some foil. It still came out as a tasty breakfast snack. The other fatties were used in stuffed peppers and such.

IMG_20120528_123506.jpg

While that was cooking I fired up the primary UDS and prepped the chicken. I had brined a whole bird and some thighs the night before. The whole bird was spatchcocked and seasoned up with some Yardbird. Half of the thighs were rubbed with HDD and the other half had Yardbird.

IMG_20120528_123448.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_20120528_133427.jpg

While the chicken was cooking, the sausages came off the second drum and on went the burnt ends and Italian beef. I left the Italian beef covered to retain moisture as it heated up. I also threw on some HDD hot wings for anyone that said they liked hot wings :becky:

IMG_20120528_143723.jpg

IMG_20120528_143729.jpg

With all that on and the chicken getting close to being done it was time to prep the ribs. Once the chicken was off, the ribs and rib tips went on.

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_20120528_154308.jpg

IMG_20120528_173355.jpg

I was pretty happy at this point as all the main meats were cooked or cooking and it was only around 2:00. I will admit that I got a little lazy and the heat started to wear me down. Once the wings, burnt ends and Italian beef were done we did a couple batches of appetizers including moink BALLS, ABTs, stuffed pablanos, some smoked catfish, and this nifty little thing the GF came up with. Basically she slices roma tomatoes onto which she puts a fresh basil leaf and fresh mozzarella with a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Served on crackers, these are really good. Sadly I did not get any good pics of them :tsk:

Around 5:00 or so people started really showing up so we got all the food out for the feeding. The ribs were still on but everything else was ready to go. In all between adults and kids, I would guess that 35-40 people filtered through.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

The ribs came off around 7:00 and everybody was stuffed. However, I still had one trick left up my sleeve. I had talked up this thing called a tri-tip to my buddies and their wives. I saved it to the end as I didn't want to share it with the masses (yeah, I cooked my farkin' arse off all day long so I am being selfish mod).

So, I fired up my newly built mini WSM. I have always thought that these cookers would be fantastic tri-tip cookers and I was right.

IMG_20120528_170659.jpg

IMG_20120528_170708.jpg

I smoked the tri-tip to 125 then took it off and wrapped it in foil for a short while. During this time I took the "smoker section" off the cooker and put the grate on the SJG. I left the lid off and let the coals get nice and hot. Then the tri-tip went back on for a couple minutes per side. It was then wrapped again and rested for a little while before slicing.

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

It was fantastic and everyone was a fan.

In all it was a very busy two days but it was fun to do and I look forward to doing it again.

Back