SousVide first attempt: I love it|

Enrico Brandizzi

Babbling Farker
Hello my BBQ Friends,
Great news in my kitchen: Anova Sous Vide has arrived and today I planned a INVERTED REVERSE SEARING.
I had 2 aims:
1) Avoid the smoke flavour on myself when my dinner guests seat at my table;
2) Be indifferent at my latecomers guest. no carry over no problems.
this is what I did.
I thawed a huge (4 pounder) Tbone steak and rubbed with carne crosta dry rub.
Meanwhile, it was raining but I went along liting 1 regular chimney and settled my 26" kettle.
When heated the grate I thrown down the Tbone and let it sear for totally 7 minutes.
Stopped the searing action and pulled off on the top counter and lit on the Anova.
I placed the Tbone in a double plastic bag and added in the outer bad 2 stones.
Finally at 10am I submerged the bag into the water, settled the Anova at 130F and forget it till 1pm.
At 1pm all the family was at lunch table ready to taste the Tbone.
Sliced and served.
To me and others that was a perfect steak, superjuicy, moist, flavourful and super tender. Tnederness was spot on, almost unbelievable.
Maybe next time I try to cut the internal temp to 125F if my Sweet Honey will say YES.
I don't tell you yet, but I cooked this steak into my living room and because it was delicious my Sweet Wifey did not scream me.

IMG_2166 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2175 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2176 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2181 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2195 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2207 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2220 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2223 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2226 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2230 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2241 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2254 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2256 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2258 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2260 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_2265 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

Looks fantastic. I want to get a sous vide too.
May I ask....why sear, then submerge? My thought is: I'll put a steak in the bath before work, after work, fire up the grill and sear. Eat.

Looks fantastic. I want to get a sous vide too.
May I ask....why sear, then submerge? My thought is: I'll put a steak in the bath before work, after work, fire up the grill and sear. Eat.

Eric, I had 2 aims:
1) Avoid the smoke flavour on myself when my dinner guests seat at my table;
2) Be indifferent at my latecomers guest. no carry over no problems.

Awesome looking. Now i want a steak! I like your 2 aims they are well thought. My wife hates when i walk inside smelling like smoke this would eliminate that.

ohhhhh. I get it now.:oops: I misunderstood the meaning of your aim!
You gotta post up your second cook too!

Bella bistecca Enrico! :clap2:
My approach to cooking many things has changed since I got my Anova. It's not a replacement for any one thing but it opens a lot of alternatives to cooking for sure.

That looks awesome. Never would have considered sear then sousvide. But then again, I don't have one. I know exactly what you mean about carrying in the smoke at meal time. Plus, it can distract you from your guests.

Nice work.

This cooking technique looks great but how do you know when the meat has hit the 130 temp and is ready to eat? You don't still let it rest after pulling it out of the water?

Marbling on that huge steak (roast?) :jaw:
Another fine cook Enrico! I still have never done a pre-sear...I should probably give it a whirl.

After a given period of time the meat is the same temp as the water. That period of time depends on the size of the cut. No rest is needed.

This cooking technique looks great but how do you know when the meat has hit the 130 temp and is ready to eat? You don't still let it rest after pulling it out of the water?

J, I don't know WHEN the meat reaches 130F IT, and I can't probe it. But I know for older attempts in the kettle that a piece of meat like that cooked at 180-200F takes 2 2,5 hours to get to 124F. So I bet that 3 hours would be fine.

No. I did not rest that Tbone. Just pulled off the bags and sliced. No juices run out. In the inner bag there was maybe 2 spons of liquid. No more. The meat was really juicy.

You don't need to rest anything coming out of sous vide. The reason you rest any meat is because of the higher cooking temps causing the meat to contract forcing the juices towards the center. So you rest it to let the meat "relax" and redistribute the juices. Sous vide is "gentle" cooking.

Back