THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've started searing chucks off first, vac seal, 130 for no less than 24 HR 36 seems optimal for "steak" texture, then dry/season and sear again.

Plus it kills off some of the surface bacteria before going into the tub.

I'm mixed on adding butter/herbs for long sous vide cooks.

I too couldn't resist the Mothers Day discount and free shipping and had been wanting for a long time. How is stuff still safe to eat when cooked in the danger zone for more than four hours?

I think it is easy to cook too long. Any thing over 48 hours makes the meat mushy. I would start with 8 hours then build up and see what you like. Especially with a good looking piece of meat like your picture.

Leftover sous vide chuck roast

Sliced thin, added to caramelized onion, add a little au jus, stuff the filling in a grilled cheese sandwich.

No pics, but it happened.

Looks great.
So far I think pork chops are my sous vide favorite. Try bone-in thick ones with the same quick sear at the end. Unbelievably tender and juicy...

Sous vide is always fun. Check out the modernist kitchen on youtube! They sous vide a steak, then give it a liquid nitrogen bath to freeze the outlayer, then sear it. A little extreme, but fun to watch!

I have also bought the Anova and tried some beef on 130. 1 for 4 hours and 1 for 30 hours. But they were way more well done than the ones on the pictures... Any idea how thats possible? (it also came out green but I saw more people who had that.)

More leftovers

Grilled sub

Peppers, onions cheeses and lettuce

I love thin sliced roast beef. Im gonna have to try some other cuts this way.

I have also bought the Anova and tried some beef on 130. 1 for 4 hours and 1 for 30 hours. But they were way more well done than the ones on the pictures... Any idea how thats possible? (it also came out green but I saw more people who had that.)

I had similar issues.

Try chilling the meat in an ice cold water bath, while still in the plastic, before searing.

I seared on the WGA really short. But it was very well done. I'l try chilling it next time.
Because of the green colour and taste we only eat a little bit.

On serious eat they don't recomend to sous vide it lower than 130 for a longer time.
Somebody ignores that advice and do it at lower temps?
I'm tempted to do it at 120 for 2-2,5 hours to try if I like that more.

I seared on the WGA really short. But it was very well done. I'l try chilling it next time.
Because of the green colour and taste we only eat a little bit.

On serious eat they don't recomend to sous vide it lower than 130 for a longer time.
Somebody ignores that advice and do it at lower temps?
I'm tempted to do it at 120 for 2-2,5 hours to try if I like that more.

Still new at this so someone who knows more can explain but i think for short cooks, under 4 hrs, under 130 is ok.

Back