THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I used to have issues with the texture - I love the internal texture of the meat, but I missed the char from the grill.

...Then I bought a vortex. About 90 seconds total over what looks like a rocket engine firing and I got the best of both worlds.

you can't just drop the generic 'vortex' without providing a link.

:tsk:

:becky:

I'm learning as I go. What I've learned for myself is that I DO NOT like blowtorched food if it's done with a standard kitchen torch. A higher temp propane torch like the one used in the radiant heat attachment linked above works better. I still prefer a pan sear or charcoal sear much better. I think the key is some sort of oil or sugar or something on the surface of the meat. But, I'm still learning so maybe I'll find a better way later.

At the end of the day I wanted this new technique to make lower priced cuts work in different ways and to make tricky dishes easier. And as far as those expectations go, this sous vide thing has delivered well.

I used to have issues with the texture - I love the internal texture of the meat, but I missed the char from the grill.

...Then I bought a vortex. About 90 seconds total over what looks like a rocket engine firing and I got the best of both worlds.

I do the same with a charcoal chimney.

Fill it, light it, place a grate on it, sear away.
Definitely gives the char of the grill

OK..... this was STUPID good.

Saw some lamb shoulder chops on sale for $4.65/lb so figured I'd give'em a sous vide bath. I love lamb.

Temp 131 for 2.5 hours.

generous sprinkle of dried thyme and rosemary and a little granulated garic and just the tiniest amount of K-salt. ran a few streaks of garlic/rosemary infused olive oil from a squirt bottle on each side and into the vacuum bag they went.

Once they were done I took them out and heated up a pan with more of the olive oil and a large pat of butter. Sprinkled S&P on one side of each chop and into the pan for a quick sear seasoned side down. Sprinkle more salt on the top before I flipped. Started to get a little color and out they came and into my belly! Farkin' DElish!

The only thing I'll change next time will be searing a bit longer for more color. I just couldn't wait any longer as I hadn't eaten since 4pm yesterday!! :doh:

So I've been wanting to try some sous vide cooking for a long time now. For a while I thought I would be making my own using a PID controller, immersion heater, and aquarium power head for circulation. That was going to take some time, effort, likely some trial and error, and ultimately take up a good amount of space in my small kitchen, so it never really happened. I have seen this Anova before and liked the small size, ease and ready to use and simple design. Have been waffling for a while on picking one up. Well thanks to this thread and the heads up on the sale I couldn't find any more reason to wait. Made my order last night. Cant wait to start experimenting! Thanks again for the heads up and all the inspiration cook shots from this thread.

For a decent sear, I use my blackstone pizza oven. Remove the pizza stone and put on my round baking steel, let it heat up for 5 minutes, put the meat directly on the steel for a minute or so, flip and done. Probably a huge waste of propane, but it works.

My 2lb. chuck roast sous vide for 48 hours at 140 (seared on a chimney) was ok, not great. It tasted like... pot roast. The meat was tender, but almost/not quite dry and under-seasoned (ie salt).

So, 2 cooks with kind of "meh" results. I still believe the process has potential... just need to learn what works and what doesn't.

This might be a bigger learning curve than I had imagined.

Any reason you went up to 48 hrs? Been looking at recipes and for some reason chuckies are all over the place! Anywhere from 8-48 hours. I guess it depends on how tender you want to get it?

Anyways this too will be my first thing I try when I get my anova. Might try a 24h cook and see how i like the texture.

Any reason you went up to 48 hrs? Been looking at recipes and for some reason chuckies are all over the place! Anywhere from 8-48 hours. I guess it depends on how tender you want to get it?

Anyways this too will be my first thing I try when I get my anova. Might try a 24h cook and see how i like the texture.

It was based off a recipe from the webz. The original recipe was at a lower temp (132?). I was trying to go for a tender, steak/rib roast vibe that the recipe claimed, but at the higher temp I think I leached too much juice out of the chuck.

It was based off a recipe from the webz. The original recipe was at a lower temp (132?). I was trying to go for a tender, steak/rib roast vibe that the recipe claimed, but at the higher temp I think I leached too much juice out of the chuck.

I think I did the same and compounded the problem by seasoning with salt. The next time I do a chuckie I'll be buying four and season with herbs and no salt while adding butter and herbs to two and only herbs to the other two. I'll take one of each to 24 hours and the other 2 to 48 hours all at 131 degrees. All will be taken out of the bath and seared on the grill. After that I'll have a clear idea on how I want to do these from now on.

Got mine Friday. Giving it a test run with eggs since that's all that's let after my girls went home. I don't know what they do with all the food!

Sous Vide Steak

I completed my first cook with mine today. Two ribeyes spent 2.25 hours in 129.5 degree water. They probed with my Thermapen at 128.5, so the system is accurate to 1 degree anyway.

I seared each side a total of 45 seconds with oil, butter, and garlic in a cast iron pan. This was absolutely the best textured steak I've ever had and probably the best tasting. My 11-year-old daughter who normally hates steak couldn't stop eating on these.

I followed the instructions from here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Attachments

i did a duck today. about ten hours at 182 and then crisped up the skin at 400 under a broiler. reserved the liquid for something tomorrow. probably duck fries with shredded duck and gravy, since i have some duck left over. i did asparagus in there as well and they were cooked perfectly. i used a couple thomas keller tricks on the duck and the asparagus. i'll start a thread with that. this is a bad picture, but the skin was crispy and the duck was fork tender.

i did a duck today. about ten hours at 182 and then crisped up the skin at 400 under a broiler. reserved the liquid for something tomorrow. probably duck fries with shredded duck and gravy, since i have some duck left over. i did asparagus in there as well and they were cooked perfectly. i used a couple thomas keller tricks on the duck and the asparagus. i'll start a thread with that. this is a bad picture, but the skin was crispy and the duck was fork tender.

Did that render all the fat under the duck skin? That is my big question with sous vide and especially duck. I can cook duck breast for small minutes in a frying pan with duck fat and get the skin crispy and the breast med rare. What does sous vide bring to the the table? I'm not attacking just trying to understand. Thanks.

Did that render all the fat under the duck skin? That is my big question with sous vide and especially duck. I can cook duck breast for small minutes in a frying pan with duck fat and get the skin crispy and the breast med rare. What does sous vide bring to the the table? I'm not attacking just trying to understand. Thanks.

The duck was fork tender and the skin was thin and crispy. If you are going for medium rare on the duck, this method and length of time won't work. The fat under the skin was rendered.

Back