THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
Forgot to buy English muffins at the store so I decided to make some. Pulled the sourdough starter out of the fridge, let it come up to room temp then gave it a feeding. The next day it was time to start the process.

Sourdough starter was very active.

Sourdough-starter.jpg

Got everyone into the pool and mixed by hand and formed into a ball. I probably should have used the Kitchen aid for this but hind sight is 20 20.

Sourdough-English-Muffin-dough.jpg

After about 5 hours, the dough was expanding.

Sourdough.jpg

Set it aside, along with my remaining starter to sit over night.

Sourdough-starter-and-dough.jpg

This morning, the dough had more then tripled in size.

Sourdough.jpg

Since I don't have a round cutter, I decided to make them square and not have any of the cutoffs to deal with.

Sourdough-English-muffins.jpg

Split apart and covered for another hour for additional rise.

Sourdough-English-muffins-1.jpg

Sourdough-English-muffins-2.jpg

Into a non-stick frying pan for the cook.

Sourdough-English-muffins-3.jpg

4 minutes later, flip and cook for another 4 minutes.

IMG-5164-Large.jpg

The finished product.

IMG-5165-Large.jpg

The first round of frying didn't puff up much, so those will be the scrubs that get eaten today at lunch. The sample I tried was every bit as good as any sourdough muffin I've had. Certainly the most sour of all the bread I've made from this starter, so I think I've got it into a good place!

This weekend will be breakfast over the fire and these English muffins will make their debut!

Looks good! Any pictures of them sliced so we can see the crumb?

Not yet. I'll update once I cut one open later. The first 4 I fried didn't turn out overly well. May have been cooked at too low of a temp. There were some holes in the finished product but I think the subsequent batches will be better.

Looks good so far. Sourdough are my favorite English muffins. Thanks for sharing. I've never had the patience for bread making.

Very nice Dean, I must admit I would have just ran to the store again. You perseverance really paid off though. So sourdough muffins with bacon this weekend?

Dean and Dom! The Brooks and Dunn of the BBQ Brethren. Just wow Sir(s)!

Last edited:
Back