THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Having recently been to Sharky's on Route 66, I've noticed the Sonoran Hotdog on their menu. I'd never get it, as I'm always too busy with the fish tacos/shrimp tacos/tacos al pastor Thursday lunch special! Today, I decided to see what the fuss was all about... in my own kitchen.

Luckily, DerHusker provided me a semi-expired roadmap from years past... if only I could get the videos to work (the big blank spaces)...

I made a quick trip to the local Mexi-Mart, and picked up a couple of options.

beWGZUul.jpg

First, I called upon John up in Ohio for some help with the Pinto Beans - Absolutely killer with a little minced onion and a little extra garlic.

v6Nrd8nl.jpg

I fired up the Vortex with El Diablo Lump then put the dawgs around... turning every 5 min or so.

yuDlAkel.jpg

Did some chopping / prep while the dawgs were on.

Y6Tnrbql.jpg

Built the dawgs as such:

Bolillo roll, split and warmed; Schmeer of Duke's Mayo; 2 slices (or so) of ripe avocado; bacon-wrapped dawg...

ue6zRANl.jpg

... topped with the Pinto Beans, Cotija Cheese, Cilantro, Red Onion, Green Salsa, Valentina's Hot Sauce, and a squeeze of lime.

DFSta8Ul.jpg

Cooked up a small batch of Tots to try out Naturiffic's Hot Salt.

mCHoulfl.jpg

Went back for seconds on the dawg when I confirmed that the original bread to dawg ratio was high.

BWse9mtl.jpg

The lime juice really brought everything together... This is a must-do for any hotdog aficionado.

Thanks for stopping by!

Next time, slice the wiener open and put a sliver of Jalapeno and Onion in before wrapping in bacon, you're welcome!

That looks right up my alley. Not sure if I can source any, but I bet I could "build my own."

Oh, I totally "copped out" and took the easy route this first time! The spicy sausage in mine was a nice touch. My girls crushed their own dawgs.

Next time, I'll probably wrap my own :)shock:) and use Tex's suggestion above.

Fanfarkingtastic! There are (were in the "before times"?) lots of Sonoran hotdog carts in L.A. They're usually outside of bars & music venues (which have bars). Do you think for one second that drunk folks stumbling out of bars can resist those? Fish in a barrel!

Anyway - looks like your initial foray was a banger - looks fantastic and the choice of tots shows utmost class - I am powerless against tots. Great stuff, Marc! :clap2:

:hungry: Oh Yum! :hungry:

Marc, Thanks for the shout out on this. I also remember mine being a little on the bready side but that's because I was using a standard Bodillo roll. El Guero Canelo has special Bodillo rolls made just for his Sonoran Dogs. (He owns his own bakery) It much more the size of a standard hot dog bun but somewhat Bodillo roll shaped. I'll look for the video on YouTube again and see if I can provide a link.

Last edited:
Cheers for the video! Looks like they hollow out their roll a bit to be able to stuff more goodness inside. I think I'll follow suit next time to improve that bread to meat ratio.

Back