Son asked for a grilling lesson!

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Yep, first grilling lesson with the boy. We had a rare afternoon with absolutely nothing that required our attention. Nowhere we had to be and nothing that needed to be done. So, when my son said, “Hey dad, can you teach me to cook on the grill?”, I was thrilled beyond expression!

So, where do I get inspiration? Who do I turn to? None other than the great and wise Mr. Malcom Reed! He just so happens to have an excellent recipe/video for cooking with your munchkin: https://howtobbqright.com/2019/03/15/sweet-sour-chicken-legs/

Here we go…

Yes, cooked on the PBC. First part of the lesson was difference between lump and briqs, appreciation of fire. He was excited to light the coals

oi9WAZvl.jpg

He was even more excited to dump 'em (and got most of them in the charcoal basket)

ttaKD0kl.jpg

Next lesson was rubs. We made an AP rub for the chicken legs and of course he did all the measuring and dumping and needed to shake the sheite out of it--just to make sure it's mixed!

iy6P5MLl.jpg

Moving on to adding the butter, which the boy knew intuitively was decadent and delicious and the secret ingredient (and yes, that's the Mr. Reed's video right there for him to follow the recipe)

5TrcovCl.jpg

Chicken legs going back on the PBC...we're getting close now

kc6l0Nsl.jpg

Next lesson was glazing--Mr. Reed has a good one for these drummies! Boy wanted to add a little extra seasoning, which of course is absolutely perfect.

8WzD8hCl.jpg

Applying glaze, super fun and he's very hungry at this point. Multiple mentions of "Dad, this is so fun!" Is there any better sound in the entire world?!?!

YNn9jtvl.jpg

...and now I have to apologize because I failed to get a single pic of the finished product--we went straight to eating and laughing. But, as you could guess, this cook and this post has only a little to do with the cook and everything to do with a dad and a son having fun and learning and spending quality time together. So good. So valuable. Cooking with friends is excellent. Sharing a passion with your son is another level. Best part of 2019 for me so far. Looking forward to next time. Thanks for reading this too-long post.

That is awesome! Passing the flame (no pun intended) on to the next generation has got to be one of the best experiences you can have! I hope, mine will do the same.

This was a great post. That time together is very special. Take those moments when you can, because eventually life gets too busy. BTW, your son has great taste in baseball teams!!!!

Back