Something lurking in the woodpile....

Are you CERTAIN it's not ants, or even fireants? I've had fireants build a nest inside my hickory and pecan stacked wood before. Even though it was elevated off of the ground I had the wood rack near my fence, so it looked like they used the fence to get to the wood.

Permethrin seems like it should do the job if it is ants or chiggers, but do apply it sparingly as it is toxic to small animals.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/permethrin-kill-ants-75299.html

Are you CERTAIN it's not ants, or even fireants? I've had fireants build a nest inside my hickory and pecan stacked wood before. Even though it was elevated off of the ground I had the wood rack near my fence, so it looked like they used the fence to get to the wood.

Permethrin seems like it should do the job if it is ants or chiggers, but do apply it sparingly as it is toxic to small animals.

My $$$ is on chiggers. He stated that they have yet to see any insects. If you start lifting wood from a pile and ants are nested in there, it's a pretty safe bet that you will see them scurrying around as their roof is removed.

No ants to be found anywhere.

Permethrin is actually a dangerous poison to humans when it's wet. Once it's dry, it is perfectly safe. I spray all my turkey hunting clothes with it to repel and kill ticks (an application will last about 4-6 weeks) in the woods and it works pretty darn good too. I know a lot of guys down south use it against chiggers and such as well. It's not expensive either. I mix it 20:1 with water (so about 6.5 ounces of permethrin to 1 gallon of water) so a quart of permethrin will make about 6 gallons of the mix. Good luck in getting rid of whatever it is that's doing this to you.

All of the bites disappeared completely after 4 or 5 days with the application of the steroid cream. No ticks were seen/removed. Would deer ticks not remain in the skin?

Most of the deer ticks I,ve had will last for weeks,even months.Most likely chiggers.You might try professional exterminator or even the state health Dept.

Permethrin is actually a dangerous poison to humans when it's wet. Once it's dry, it is perfectly safe.

I guess the question isn't whether it's safe when wet/dry on contact...it's whether or not you feel safe using wood, that has been sprayed with a pesticide, to cook food that will be consumed by your family and friends.

Example: KY jelly is safe for human contact, but you wouldn't use it as the "J" in a PBJ sammich...:heh:

Poison ivy or oak sounds more possible to me. Hope you figure it out..... but Fat Backs answer had me in tears laughing.

I'm leaning towards chiggers. Them boogers were horrible when I was stationed in NC. Worst I'd ever seen.

Also make sure it's not a tick nest. The baby ticks are so small, they almost can't be seen like chiggers. You have to look very close at your skin to see them. They look look like specks of dirt.

Poison ivy or oak sounds more possible to me. Hope you figure it out..... but Fat Backs answer had me in tears laughing.

Notice he stated that everyone with the bites had them under their clothing, consistent with a chigger's modus operandi...if it was poison ivy/oak, it would have been more on their hands...and their faces if they wiped sweat etc. Besides, it is fairly easy to distinguish individual bug bites from poison ivy/oak, which tends to occur in patches like a rash.

I'm leaning towards chiggers. Them boogers were horrible when I was stationed in NC. Worst I'd ever seen.

Also make sure it's not a tick nest. The baby ticks are so small, they almost can't be seen like chiggers. You have to look very close at your skin to see them. They look look like specks of dirt.

Ticks don't usually bite, move and bite again causing numerous bites that itch. They tend to hang on when they take hold...the lil bloodsuckers!

Just a heads up to anyone who has an issue with Gypsy Moths, the eggs are starting to hatch around New England and small caterpillars are everywhere right now and coming in contact with them will result is a nasty, itchy rash. Ask me how i know. I was putting burlap around tree trunks this weekend which then gets sprayed with Suspend SC which contains Deltamethrin and that kills them as they crawl over the burlap.

Here, we never had true chiggers, but have a lot of deer ticks, the tiniest "seed" ticks are like grains of black pepper and a lot of guys get into them and call them chiggers. but small as they are you can see them and they're black. From what you say I'd say they are actual chiggers, my daughter lived awhile in NC and she didn't have anything good to say about them. :grin:

I'm thinking if you can wrap the pile in clear plastic, with a southern exposure, the heat build up will probably kill them, and a thought, if you have to handle the wood to move it to your "kiln", spray it down with a CO2 fire extinguisher, the freeze might slow them down long enough to move it, and no toxic chemicals to worry about.

Here, we never had true chiggers, but have a lot of deer ticks, the tiniest "seed" ticks are like grains of black pepper and a lot of guys get into them and call them chiggers. but small as they are you can see them and they're black. From what you say I'd say they are actual chiggers, my daughter lived awhile in NC and she didn't have anything good to say about them. :grin:

I'm thinking if you can wrap the pile in clear plastic, with a southern exposure, the heat build up will probably kill them, and a thought, if you have to handle the wood to move it to your "kiln", spray it down with a CO2 fire extinguisher, the freeze might slow them down long enough to move it, and no toxic chemicals to worry about.

I am convinced they are chiggers. Im going to have to try some sort of heat as you referenced, as I just don't think I would be comfortable cooking with the wood after application of any chemicals. It has affected a LOT of wood. In fact, we just split another 8000# of hickory about two months ago to start the seasoning process. It is located adjacent to the chigger infested pile..... Dangit....

All of the bites disappeared completely after 4 or 5 days with the application of the steroid cream. No ticks were seen/removed. Would deer ticks not remain in the skin?

I don't know. The thing I hate about chiggers is that the bites last so long. You think you're done, scratch an itch and boom it's bothering you again.

If the shed you store the wood in is enclosed, an old trick taught to my by my grand dad that really works is to put a gas can in the shed with a couple of gallons of gas in it with the big cap off. The vapor gets rid of wasps, bees, spiders, ants roaches and all form of vermin, rats and such. Don't see why it would not work on chiggers too. Leave it about a week. As the shed heats up during the day, the gas will expand creating the vapor. I don't think it will hurt your wood as I've stored wood in my shed (but it was firewood with Solder ants in it and also a wasp nest). Not a critter to be found after. Just don't have an open flame when you open the door although I don't think that would be a problem either. Chiggers gotta breathe too.

Good Luck!

Back