Some beginner efforts - and lessons learned!

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all. Had to put this little guy down yesterday morning and my heart absolutely broke.

But I tried a few things on the smoker the day before and it's good for me to take my mind off things - so I'd love to share the results with you all.

Things are ready to go!

The guests of honor:

I've always thought those little bacon-wrapped filets are gimmicky, but they sure are cheap and were excruciatingly tasty. I did a dry salt brine on them after accidentally *breaking* one in half trying to see if the middle was thawed yet. It was. The bacon came off during thawing (in cold water) but no biggie.

My first try at ABTs! Of course I used cheap bacon which wasn't really in solid strips all the way across, so of course they look like crap. Will buy good bacon next time.

Used RO lump with hickory chunks in the old NB offset. Lovely sight!

Tried my first reverse sear on the steaks. Because they were so small, reached temp very quickly - I was really caught off guard! I threw them over the coals but they didn't get hardly any sear at all - should have left them on longer. My charcoal basket is 7 inches tall - I'm sure it would be better if the meat were closer to the coals.

Just before searing the steaks:

The plate!

For someone who can't cook I thought it turned out pretty darn well overall. The corn was a little dry, so I'm going to try to husk, butter, then rehusk next time and hope the smoke still gets in there.

The steak was incredible. Plowboys Bovine Bold was an incredible win, and it was neat to have a steak with a smoke ring! I wanted to drink the juice on the plate.

The ABTs were very interesting. I took the first two off after 45 minutes or so, and they almost killed me. If I didn't have a gallon of milk in the fridge I would probably be dead. I left the rest of them in the smoker during dinner, and they weren't nearly as hot, nor were the peppers as uncomfortably "crunchy" as the first ones. I'm thinking if they spent longer in at lower temp hopefully the cream cheese could neutralize the jalapenos a bit more and soften everything up. Gotta figure out a better wrapping method; the cream cheese came shooting out when bitten into. Maybe toothpicks? And I wonder if I should cut them up into two or three pieces to be bite-size? Heck if I know. Here are the only three survivors.

Lessons learned:

(probably old news to most of you - but new news to me!)

1. Smoked foods truly benefit from a cooling rest before eating.

In this cook especially I realized that unlike grilling, when the sooner I eat it the happier I am (though I force myself to wait a bit for steaks to rest), when I do that with the smoker it's just too much. I think the combination of the food being hot and having smoke flavor just seems to make what I can only describe as a too-spicy combination. Twice now I've gone after the leftovers after the fact and been really delighted; I thought things were oversmoked the first time when it fact they were too dang temperature-hot to be enjoyable. So I don't mean any kind of "redistribute the juices" kind of thing by "rest", just that they often need to cool off before they are pleasant to eat.

2. Controlling temps with the size of the fire is better than relying on closing the intake.

I filled the charcoal basked maybe 2/3 full and put 2/3 of a lit chimney on one side. This was altogether too much fuel. Cooking grate temp stayed near 275 for much of the cook, though I had intended to cook much lower. I initially started closing the intake but was shortly greeted by thick, white smoke, which I fretted over for a few minutes before I decided to put the intake wherever it needed to be for thin blue. When I would open the intake, the smoke *instantly* went to thin blue. Seeing as how it didn't matter much (this is not a brisket, folks) I just ran with it and kept thin blue regardless of temp. So next time I'm aiming for a much smaller fire; I'd love to run the intake wide open.

3. The Maverick is a godsend.

Seriously, how did you all do this before wireless thermometers? I could take it inside and not have to panic about what was happening to the temp. A casual glance outside every now and then would confirm thin blue...so easy.

I have so much to thank you guys for! This forum is literally the best thing about the internet. Thanks for looking!

I am sorry for the loss of your buddy.
Your food looks excellent to me.
We are here to help each other out. That is what we are and welcome to the forum.
If you have not visited Cattle Call please do.

So sorry about your Pup. Our Golden (14 years old) died a couple years ago. We don't want another dog. We just want him back....
Your food looks great so keep it up!

Thanks guys! Will head to Cattle Call right now.

Yeah, you nailed it - I don't want another dog - I just want him back! I would bet that most people in their whole lives never share the depth of love and affection that this little dog could. What a gift from God!

Seriously, this forum is amazing. It will probably make me way fat...but it will definitely be worth it...

Having to say Vios Condios is never easy those awesome creatures come into our lives for short time and love us unconditionally. We are better off for having known them. I know that pain all to well there are no magic words only time will fill the hole that is left.
You sure cooked up a feast It looks great.

Bludawg, I've been lurking enough to know that you are the Master of Brisket, but it's clear you are also the master of canine affairs. I've never lost a dog before, and I confess that when other people have told me they had to put their dog down, etc., I felt bad for them but figured it wasn't that huge a deal. Boy was I wrong! I'll be a whole lot more understanding next time.

And, you also hit the nail on the head that we *are* better off having known them despite the pain of their absence. When I consider the joy and solace that little 13 lbs. brought into many lives, he was absolutely a gift.

When I work up the courage (and can find a brisket I can afford to buy!!! holy crap) I can't wait to try your brisket method! Many thanks for sharing it...make me your disciple!

Sorry for having to put down your doge, that always hurts :(

great looking cook. For the corn, I suggest just throwing it in the smoker whole. Husk and silk still attached. Just trim up the top and bottom to even the size out. If you cook the corn properly the silk will come off the corn super easy. My favorite way of cooking corn is on the pit. I leave it on there between 30-45mins at 300 degrees . It comes out sweet, moist and with a nice smokey note to it. Add some butter to it and you will be in heaven!

If you are cooking at a lower temperature, just increase the time on the pit for the corn. I cook hot and fast which is why I know how long it takes. At the lower temps I'm not sure how long it will take.

Great looking cook there Tasty Cat! Looks like you can offer us a great deal of information on this forum as well as get a great deal of knowledge from the regulars. Love the pictures from your deck. Those trees in the background really stand out. Congrats on a great cook.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

As a fellow dog lover, I am also sorry for your loss.

BTW, the bacon on a filet is really there to hold the circular shape of less than circular cuts. I figured this out after I bought a whole filet and cut out the silverskin. Some of the steaks looked like a bovine Pac-Man. A little strip of bacon fixed that up.

Have gone through 3 dogs that have passed. It does not get any easier.So sorry for your loss. Great looking cook. Nice to have you on the forum.

It's amazing what a pet can bring to our lives and how attached we become to them. My dog has been gone for 3 years and I still have not been able to get another one. One of my co-workers had to take the day off when his old dog died. It's tougher than most people realize.

Welcome to the forum brother. So sorry for your loss. Someone that has never lost a special pet will never know.

On a brighter note. Great first cook. I will have to try those little steaks now. Only thing I can see is I boil my corn to get it done then throw it on the grill at the very end of whatever I'm cooking to put a little char on it. Good job!!

Sorry for the loss of that little guy. So hard.

Now, I happen to like using cheap bacon on ABT's, too much bacon overpowers the peppers, it's all about balance for me. They looked great.

And yes on managing heat with the fire size

Back