THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris89Stang

Knows what a fatty is.
I have to admit I don't have much experience bbqing ribs because my wife doesn't really care for them (and still married her!).

So I was kind of surprised when should she didn't care if I threw a couple of racks on the BGE this weekend.

I wanted to try it 2 different ways to see which one we liked better.

Both have the same rub (my pork rub). One I did 2 hours unwrapped, wrapped for an hour with honey, brown sugar, and a little apple juice, and then another hour on the smoker. I didn't sauce these. The other rack I just left on the smoker the whole time, not wrapping, and sauced them.

Here are some pics.

Rubbed up and ready to go on.

Chris-BGE-22.jpg

After 2 hours

Chris-BGE-23.jpg

One wrapped

Chris-BGE-24.jpg

Almost done!

Chris-BGE-25.jpg

Finished product

Chris-BGE-26.jpg

Chris-BGE-27.jpg

Everybody said they liked the rack that I didn't wrap and sauced better than the other. I think the rack that I wrapped was a little more tender but they were real close. Maybe I should have sauced both of them but I think for the next time I won't wrap because it didn't really do much.

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

I did a similar test with SLC's. One rack nekkid all the way, the other nekkid for 2 hours, wrapped for one with no additives, nekkid until done. No sauce on either as I serve it on the side.

The wrapped rack was slightly juicier, but the other rack was not dry. I pulled them both when they were all bendy, so both racks were tender with just a slight pull. My decision was that if I was just making a rack or two for us, I would wrap. If I am making more for a party, they can go nekkid.

The wrapped rack was slightly juicier, but the other rack was not dry. I pulled them both when they were all bendy, so both racks were tender with just a slight pull. My decision was that if I was just making a rack or two for us, I would wrap. If I am making more for a party, they can go nekkid.

First nice job Chris!

Terry I can't even tell you how excited I am about my new rib process partly because even though they are cooked nekkid the whole time they are also juicier than any wrapped ribs i've had.

Very nice!

I tried some baby backs this weekend as well, went with the simplest method I found (K.I.S.S. tends to be best for me) 250 on the BGE for 4hrs. Came out fantastic! I'd like to try the wrap method but I'm not generally a fan of the real sweet rib.

Both look great!

I'm a wrapper since my women folks (three generations) prefer them that way.

Looks good. Last time I did ribs I did the wrapped/no wrapped comparison. I liked the nekkid but the GF liked the wrapped. Then I again I don't like my meat to be mush.

Back