THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
As some of you know, we currently have a Pulled Beef Throwdown in progress right now:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285813

Shagdog and I decided on this category (as the previous winner who gets to choose the next category, wasn't able to do so in time) as we try to either pick something that hasn't been done in a while, or something new/different.

Pulled beef came to mind, as we've never done it before. As I see this unfolding, lunchman commented that he now prefers bulled beef over pulled pork.

Seeing all these pulled beef cooks got me thinking today - do I prefer pulled beef over pulled pork? The answer is a resounding yes!

It's not that I don't like pulled pork, I do, very much. But there's something about pulled beef, that's well, beefy! It certainly has more flavor than pulled pork, as pork is rather neutral tasting compared to beef.

Yet, we don't see a lot of pulled beef because pulled pork is so popular and it's such a tradition. Perhaps that will change and pulled beef will start to get the love it deserves.

This is not a plug for the Throwdown per se, but rather, a combination of observation, and encouragement to try pulled beef if you haven't done so.

It's good stuff, and after you try it, just may become a regular addition to your BBQ rotation. I'm enjoying all the pulled beef that's being featured, and look forward to more as I'm sure we'll see some creative dishes made from pulled beef.

That is all...

:yo:

I can't say I've ever had a chuck roast turn out like I hoped it would. I might have to try one and foil it.

I love pulled beef, definitely better then pulled pork for various dishes.

Barbacoa, pulled beef taco's, enchilada's, open faced pulled beef w/onions and gravy, pulled beef sandwiches (aka hot beef, or italian beef) list goes on.

The obvious preference for pork in the US is clearly price. Pork shoulder is commonly found in the $.99/lb range.

Low end brisket is $2.30/lb and cheap chuck is $3.75/lb.

In places outside the US pulled lamb and beef are very common in authentic regional dishes.

The obvious preference for pork in the US is clearly price. Pork shoulder is commonly found in the $.99/lb range.

Low end brisket is $2.30/lb and cheap chuck is $3.75/lb.

In places outside the US pulled lamb and beef are very common in authentic regional dishes.

Yeah price is definitely a good reason to choose pork over beef if you are feeding a crowd. I just stocked up on pork shoulder when it was on sale for 0.59/lb. Also stocked up on chuck roast while on sale for $3.99/lb. Chuck is more expensive then brisket, but when you factor in less fat trim, it evens out.

I like smoked chuck over brisket- sue me- or make fun of me... whatever you have time for.

but for the $$$ - you are not beating a butt.

I will stand by- waiting to be awed by the submissions.

I like smoked chuck over brisket- sue me- or make fun of me... whatever you have time for.

I agree. If you get chuck on sale, your looking at around $16 for a 4/lb hunk. You cook that hunk of meat to perfection, and cube it for burnt ends, that's some good eats.

And then you think about it, you buy two, for $32 you get 8/lb's. You will pay that or more for a 12-14/lb brisket, and till you trim it (if you trim aggressive like me) your down to 8-10/lbs.

I love and enjoy both the pulled beef and pork and as you bring up the question which do I enjoy better. My mind just keeps going back and forth to which I like better.

They are both great the 1st day
They are both great reheated
They both transition into other dishes well

Pulled beef, pork or chicken, I like all of them.

I did a cook for the throwdown and it was great. We had the lephtovers yesterday but with pulled pork and it was equally great, just different.

Never really thought about this as a one or the other...

To me pulled beef takes on more of the character of whatever flavor profile you are going for whereas pulled pork has almost always (a few exceptions) been traditional BBQ.

For beef I can go for tex-mex pulled beef tacos, pepper stout, BBQ etc.

I like pulled beef but I still have to side with pulled pork. I've seen plenty of beef wrapped with pork but never seen pork wrapped with beef. :mrgreen:

Back